Move Over Violation in FL

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlDriver82

I was pulled over for the first time in my life for a violation of the Move over law in Florida. (statute 316.126.1b1) I was not aware of this law but have always slowed down and/or yielded to police, ambulances, etc. I was traveling on I-95 N going 60 (in a 65 zone) and slowed down when I saw a car, tow truck and state trooper on my left. I did not have enough time to move over. The state trooper did not have his lights on. After I passed him, he flicked his lights on and came up behind me. I know I was not speeding, I was well under the speed limit, so I assumed that he just needed to get to another scene and moved into the right lane as soon as I could to let him pass me. He then followed behind me, and I realized that I was actually being pulled over. I looked at my spedometer and I was going 55mph, and I'm pretty sure that I was going slower than this when I passed him because I sped up when he came behind me in order to switch lanes and get out of his way. So I pull over and he yells over the speaker for me to get out of my car with my paper work and license. He was standing behind his car door when I approached him. He was very hostile and yelled down at me the entire time (I am a 25 y/o woman, only 5'2") and I felt very threatened. I never copped an attitude. He stated that the law was that I was supposed to slow down TO 20mph (which I found out to be incorrect when I did the research later) or move over when a cop's lights are on. I explained that I could not mover over that quickly but I had slowed down but not to 20mph and that I did not see his lights on. He continued to yell at me then about the tow truck's lights and asked me to get back in the car. I was shaken and the only reason I stayed calm was because I had 3 friends in the car with me who also did not understand the law as I related what the trooper had told me.
He gave me the ticket and stated on the ticket that I had passed service patrol and 2 state cars patrol cars with emerg. lights activated. I only saw one cop car and he did not have his lights on.

It is $124 ticket that I really can't afford but I can't really afford a lawyer either, so I want to try and take it to court myself. What should I do??? Do I have a good defense??
I am a safe driver, I have never been pulled over before and only got one ticket in 2003 (over 5 yrs ago) for an accident which I took to court and had dismissed.
I am considering filing complaint against the officer - he was very hostile and angry with me and I can't possibly understand why he would make me get out of the car and approach him in that manner. Is that possible? I am 25 y/o, 5'2'' and only 85lbs! How could he have felt threatened by me?!

Any advice/info would be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back