Move Out Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesCotton

My jurisdiction is: San Diego, CA

Hello there,

I live in an apartment complex with a resident manager on site. He's someone a lot of residents have had issues with, so the normal thing is for tenants to move out once their one year lease is up.
One of the tenants just moved out. She did a walk through with the resident manager, and then he gave her a sheet to sign itemizing what they saw as any problems. I guess it was some type of checklist, and something's were not checked or marked. Well, they've just received their deposit back, and there were more deductions to the security deposit for things that weren't marked on the move out walk through sheet when it was signed and complete. However, the resident manager made changes to the sheet, adding more AFTER it was signed by both of them. The former tenant feels like it's not worth the fight to get back the amount taken out because the resident manager will probably file some false counter suit. And although it would probably easily be tossed out, it's more time and effort then it's worth to her for trying to get something back. She basically just wants to be done with the place.
My question is, when I move out in 2 months what can I do to prevent this from happening to me? I assumed I'd ask for a copy of the move out inspection list I signed, but what if he denies me one? I'm just trying to cover my bases so I can be prepared.
Thanks for any help.

I'm in San Diego, CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back