motorcycle street parking

archenemy6

First I'd like to say I didn't get a ticket so this question is mostly for my satisfaction/later use.
I parked my motorcycle on the side of the road in a designated parking area. I parked like I always do. Back up all the way to the curb and at an angle so it's not parallel with the curb. I hopped off and there was a cop passing by he rolled his window down and said someone might hit my bike and that it has to be parallel with the curb and the wheels can't be more than 18 inches from the curb and all that stuff of course I didn't want any trouble so I kept my opinions to myself but I thought that was the stupidest thing and how my bike was parked is probably the most logical and safest way to park but I digress. I tried to do some searching for motorcycle parking laws but mostly all I could find was no parking in handicapped spots or sidewalk or anything like that. Closes thing I found was in the Texas motorcycle operators handbook it mentions parking at an angle with your back wheel against the curb but then it says something about city ordinances but I'm not sure where is find that. If anybody has any info or could point me in the right direction that would be great. I probably won't be changing the way I park but I'd just like some possible clarity on the subject.

Each and every city, town, and village (counties do, too) often create specific traffic laws, which are called ordinances that allow each entity to control traffic and parking in their jurisdiction.

Motorcycles are simply vehicles, as are bicycles, and as such must abide by the laws written to control traffic and motoring safety.

It's your responsibility as a licensed driver to know the laws of the road. Not knowing won't get you off the hook if cited.

You can contact the police department in the city in question and ask where you can read the traffic control ordinances. You could ask for information relevant to parking motorcycles on city streets.

The easiest way to avoid parking citations is to read the signage (often found on the area between the sidewalk and the street.
Follow the instructions on the signage, and observe what others are doing.
Larger cities in Texas observe parallel parking, for the most part.
Smaller villages and towns often use head in, angle parking.
The law makes no exceptions for what might be best for motorcycles.

Some jurisdictions require parallel parking, others require angle in parking head first, others just angle in, head or rear first, doesn't matter.

Some allow you to park only on the side of the street in the direction of travel, others either direction.

These sites might help:

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/internetforms/Forms/DL-8.pdf

https://www.ridetexas.com/texasmotorcyclelaws/

http://bikerlawyer.com/biker-resour...id)&utm_keyword=(keyword)&utm_source=(source)

Last edited:
It's your responsibility as a licensed driver to know the laws of the road. Not knowing won't get you off the hook if cited.

You can contact the police department in the city in question and ask where you can read the traffic control ordinances. You could ask for information relevant to parking motorcycles on city streets.

Of course that's a responsibility of licensed drivers and you get a lot of the basics when you take your driving course but with so many different laws spread across so many areas it shouldn't be difficult to find out these laws. I'd like to be the least ignorant as I can be when it comes to the laws yet I'd have to call the police department and get transferred to the right person and then probably wait a while and hope I get the right info.
I've just gone into complaining now sorry.

Thanks for the reply and the advice. Maybe if I have some free time and nothing productive to do I'll give them a call and see what happens.

Back