Motorcycle Accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

nawtqt

On Sept. 9, 2007 in New Jersey, I was a passenger on my husband's motorcycle when very abruptly the car in front of us slammed on its brakes causing us to slide. My right lower leg hit the rear rubber inlayed bumper of the car and that caused a severe 3rd degree friction burn. At first it looked like it might be a bruise so I didn't go immediately to the ER. The car in front of us that my leg hit drove away. The next day my husband called his motorcycle insurance only to find I was not covered. He called his auto insurance (he had added me on to it several months earlier) and was told that I was covered. Then, was told at the ER that my husband's insurance would not cover me. I was frantic to find a doctor who could care for my wound. I located a plastic surgeon who debrided the wound. It had to be done twice because it was infected with pseudomonas bacteria. The infection worsened & the plastic surgeon was getting frustrated. The infection went through my bloodstream. I underwent several surgeries due to necrotic ulcerations popping up on my lower body from the infection. My knees locked up and I am permanently in a wheelchair & have been since March 2008. I continue to have health problems, which seem to be snowballing. One thing right after the other has gone wrong with my health since that accident. I hired a law firm to handle my case. I also had to file bankruptcy because my medical bills had reached $183,000. I was told by the head of the law firm when I first hired them that they would see to it I get paid for my pain and suffering. The automobile insurance company was liable under the under-insured motorists. My case went through several hands at this law firm since 2008. They don't seem very concerned about my case, at least that is my impression. The motorcycle insurance company paid $15,000 towards the medical bills that are in bankruptcy. That is their limit. I was very surprised that they paid anything. The automobile insurance company has a UIM limit of $100,000. I was told that they got credit for the $15,000 that the motorcycle insurance paid. Why? I'm told that the $85,000 left from the automobile insurance company may have to go on the rest of the medical bills unless they are dismissed in bankruptcy. Anyway, HEY. I no longer can walk. I no longer can do any of the many things I used to enjoy before the accident. My whole life has turned into a nightmare. If the automobile company had covered me in the beginning when I needed ER treatment I would still be walking. I would, more than likely, still be in good health. I have suffered unbelievable excruciating pain for years now from the burn and the things that the infection caused. I thought I was going to "be paid for my pain and suffering".... Should I seek another attorney??? I feel like I've gotten the short end of the stick here. After all I've gone through because of the automobile insurance dragging their feet in the beginning, I feel I should also be awarded personal injury restitution. Thank you for listening and for your advice.

I suggest you speak with a couple new attorneys.

You should do this with great urgency.

Your case is nearing four years of age.

The SOL may have tolled.

New Jersey is one of the states that counts the date of the occurrence or accident in the computation of the statute of limitations.*

Negligence / Personal Injury
2 Years with Discovery Rule.

Thank you. I hired the law firm because the auto insurance company was negligence and that caused my personal injury. In the beginning when I was talking with the head of the law firm, he seemed quite interested in my case and acted like he was on my side. Since my case has been handled now by several of the law firms attorney's, it has dwindled down to the insurance company paying some of the medical bills and I get nothing. I don't understand how this case got twisted around to suit the insurance company, but they've come out smelling like a rose. They even got credit for the $15,000 that the motorcycle insurance paid. I will contact several attorney's and see what I can do...

Last edited:
Someone may have got a little something under the table to screw you.

It happens.

Let me know what you learn.

Best option in this case is to use your own insurance... hopefully you have purchased adequate coverage. If not, you have a major loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back