Motorcycle Accident due to other parties negligence

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDEVIN7

I was involved in a severe motorcycle accident in June of this year in which my leg was broken and my foot was crushed. The police report collaborated with eyewitness reports states that the other party was at fault and in violation of vehicle codes. The driver crossed double solid yellow lines of the car pool lane without looking, causing me to try and make evasive maneuvers that ended with me slamming into the rear of her vehicle with the right side of my bike and flying about 25 feet in front of her vehicle with a broken leg and crushed foot.
It turns out that the drivers policy is basic liability 15/30/5. It also appears that the driver may have no assets. I am wondering if there are any lawyers that have some advice for me or that might be interested in my case. Should I accept the policy limits of 15k? My hospital bills are over 400k, but I am covered by insurance. Only problem is, I dont know if I will ever be able to walk right again, or without pain. 15k does not seem like enough to compensate for my lost wages and pain and suffering.

Do you have UIM (under-insured motorist) coverage on your motorcycle policy?

A 15k policy and 400k in bills? If you can get the 15k, take it, negotiate the medical bills down, ask them to write them off due to hardship.

Hiring an attorney would just set you back. Yes, we can negotiate the bills for you, but they will more than likely give you even more of a break if you're doing it yourself.

Plus, the attorney will take 1/3 of the 15k. Don't think it's really worth it for you, and more work than an attorney will want to take on for 1/3 of 15k.

Getting anymore than 15k is pretty much a longshot, unless there's a potential for punitive damages and the person actually has assets. With a 15k policy, I HIGHLY doubt they have assets.

I have already hired an attorney, but he has not done anything for me that I could not have done myself in the matter. I called him for advice, and he kind of coaxed me into signing with him not even knowing anything about the case. Is there anyway I can bypass him in recovering the policy limits or does the signing of a contract obligate me?
It would be nice to know if I have any options in the matter. One third of $15,000 is alot for me to lose out on.

You can always fire him, but then he can put a lien on the case for the amount of work he's already done. Read the contingency fee agreement that you signed with him, I'm sure there's a paragraph about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back