Motion for Civil Contemp/Enforcement (please help!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeriv0617

I filed a motion for civil contempt/enforcement against my ex husband because he failed to divide the proceeds from the sale of our marital home, as was ordered in our divorce. The terms were very clear, and stated that upon the sale two separate checks were to be issued. Instead, he and his wife lied on the continuous marriage affidavit, saying they were married to each other during the entire time since the purchase of home, thus preventing the title company from knowing about me. They used my share, more than $50,000, to purchase a new home for themselves. He also took out a $70,000 mortgage on our home to use as a down payment on his new home, as well as to reduce the amount of profit subject to the division.
Yesterday he told me that even though he knows I'll get a judgement, there is nothing I can do to make him pay. He says I can't have his wages garnished, or put a lein on his new home, since his current wife is a co-owner. He also said that the courts will not see his contempt as a serious matter. He said the only type of contempt the courts punish with possible imprisonment is non payment of child support.
Is this true? Can he effectively steal more than $85,000 from me and get away with it?

Last edited:
I am not sure what state your in, But if you had a judgment for half of the proceeds from the sale of the home, and he and his wife both lied, then it sounds like both of them are guilty of fraud, and contempt. You need to talk to an attorney ASAP........Dont wait.

I'm sorry...I forgot to mention that I live in Florida. Thanks for your reply. My problem is that there is no way I can afford to pay an attorney up front. Is there a way to make my ex husband pay my attorney's fees, since his actions cause me to requre the services of an attorney in the first place? If not, what are the chances I could find an attorney who would hold their fees until I have received a judgement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back