Mother with Medicaid in Nursing Home wants to gift money

B

BJCOOK28

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
My mother has had medical assistance all her life due to low income. She has lived with me & my family for 13 years and has nothing except $7500 in savings and $773 per month from social security. She has dementia (not too bad but we can no longer give her the care she needs) and is now in a nursing home for 4 weeks. The nursing home has not yet begun to take her money but she would like to give $500 to her 3 sons for Christmas (her last Christmas present, as she puts it). Is this okay to do?

My mother has had medical assistance all her life due to low income. She has lived with me & my family for 13 years and has nothing except $7500 in savings and $773 per month from social security. She has dementia (not too bad but we can no longer give her the care she needs) and is now in a nursing home for 4 weeks. The nursing home has not yet begun to take her money but she would like to give $500 to her 3 sons for Christmas (her last Christmas present, as she puts it). Is this okay to do?

The answer is, generally, YES.

Gifts are certainly acceptable in MOST situations.
There are some exceptions.
If she were one of those exceptions, she'd more than likely know about it.
Bottom line, she's very ill.
She may NOT be with you next year, at least mentally.
What can the government goons do to a woman in her position, that life isn't doing anyway?
Tell her yes, and my prayer is she'll be with you next year.
Don't apologize for being unable to care for a person afflicted with her ailment.
You did the best you could, so don't explain.
Having lost my mother to Alzheimer's, I understand and feel your pain.
No need to explain, those who've been there know, those who haven't will criticize you regardless.

Back