Mother of an Autistic child aka a "situation" in my work place

notasituation

I was told at work by the DM that I shouldn't talk about my "situation" to guest. My "situation" is my 3 1/2 yr Autistic daughter. I bartend 2 nights a week for well known hotel chain. A co worker reported that she thought that I could be getting "sympathy tips", which is most definitely not the case. Everyone else freely talks about their family, but because my daughter is Autistic I was basically told to stay mum about mine. I've contacted the CEO of the company with promise that he would get back with me, but I feel totally uncomfortable going back to work and I don't want to work for a company the uses the word situation to describe my daughter. What should I do?

Personally, I don't think it's appropriate for you (or anyone else) to be talking about their family to guests in the first place. And yes, I worked for a hotel for 8 years.

Agree. Especially not discussing medical situations, disabilities or other very personal issues which might make guests uncomfortable. An offhand comment that you have a daughter to a guest who mentions being a parent is one thing. Discussing your daughter's condition and diagnosis is another. There is just no reason for you to tell a guest anything specific about your personal life or your family members.

I agree with the others. If being a parent is mentioned and you want to be part of the conversation all you have to do is say that you have a 3-1/2 year old daughter and leave it at that.

Back