Mother Lives With Me

Jessica Schleig

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
Not sure how this works, but I have bought a home in my name solely, where my mother and brother reside. I pay the mortgage, and my mother pays the utilities. Recently, she has expressed to me that she does not want to live under the same roof as me because of her religious views being compromised because of my sexual orientation. We have moved everything from our previous home into this house and she said either I leave or she saves up money to leave. She has also in the mean time been acting childish and completely disregarding that I own it, and destroying things. Am I legally allowed to evict her? What documents do I need in support to render this decision? I am able to pay bills on my own, and can afford all other payments, but I do not want to feel like a stranger in my own home anymore.

Not sure how this works, but I have bought a home in my name solely, where my mother and brother reside. I pay the mortgage, and my mother pays the utilities. Recently, she has expressed to me that she does not want to live under the same roof as me because of her religious views being compromised because of my sexual orientation. We have moved everything from our previous home into this house and she said either I leave or she saves up money to leave. She has also in the mean time been acting childish and completely disregarding that I own it, and destroying things. Am I legally allowed to evict her? What documents do I need in support to render this decision? I am able to pay bills on my own, and can afford all other payments, but I do not want to feel like a stranger in my own home anymore.

Based ONLY on what you've posted, yes, you can follow you're state's laws to evict your mother. If she is destroying your property, then you can seek a restraining order. We can't really tell you anything else without knowing what US state you live in.

EDIT: I see that you've added your state (PA) to your original posting.

she said either I leave or she saves up money to leave.

If it is your home and you and mother no longer can live under the same roof, mother is offering to leave your home. She indicates she'd like a little time to save enough money for her to leave.

I suggest you and mother discuss the matter and agree upon a date which allows mother "some time" to save some loot so she can leave voluntarily.

Bully for you and mother disagreeing but able to discuss things calmly resolving matters so that everyone can walk away a winner.

Am I legally allowed to evict her?

No, YOU, can't evict your mother.

YOU can, however, file an eviction lawsuit in your county, and eventually a judge will evict your mother.

Perhaps I praised you too soon, before getting to this messy eviction stuff. Oh, well, silly me.

What documents do I need in support to render this decision?

Oh my, the eviction talk starts again.
You can't render a decision, you can ask the judge to evict your mother.

Read the info on these links for EXACT details on how you can cause your mother to be evicted:

Pennsylvania Eviction

How Evictions Work in Pennsylvania

yes, Pennsylvania. she guilt tripped me into buying this house for her so she could get out of her old house, but has completely disrespected me in the process, saying its both of our houses and I should feel bad for the things I do

I wish I could guilt-trip my kids in to buying me a house. I'd be lucky to get a dime for the pay phone

Back