Naturalization, Citizenship more dual citizenship q's...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hynde

my grandmother was born american, and lived there until she was 9 (1940), then moved to canada. she obtained her american citizenship until about 15 years ago, when she became a full canadian citizen. my mother never bothered to become a dual citizen, though i think she could have. i am now looking to go to school in the states, and eventually live there permanently. since my grandmother was once considered an american citizen, would it be relatively easy for her to obtain dual citizenship now? if she did, would my mother and i then be able to?

As far as I understand you have been born outside of the US, never lived in the US and none of your parents have ever been a US citizen?

Then you have no way of obtaining legal permanent residence or even US citizenship on family relationship grounds.

Even if your grandmother would try to regain her US citizenship, which is not at all easy, but would require her to fulfill the same qualifications as any other alien has to fulfill, it would not affect you.

If any US citizen voluntarily acquires a foreign citizenship he loses American citizenship unless he or she really makes a point that they do not want to do that. There is no provision in the law that he or she can simply "regain" it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back