Giving Notice Money taken from me for the next month

Khankhankhan

Jurisdiction
Kansas
I am an international student living in Kansas. I was living in an apartment which had its lease till the 31st of Jan. I was sent regular emails to extend my lease but since I was planning to move out I didn't sign the extension. Now I'm new to the US and I had no idea that I had to let the renter know 30 days prior of moving out. I moved out before the 31st and after 2 days received a notification that the rent of February was being taken from me as well. I contacted the leasing agent and they said there's nothing they can do. If only I had received any email or message suggesting me to give a notice prior leaving from them I would have done it. I am a student and giving out the rent of 2 places in a month is really tough for me. Is there anything I can do?

I am an international student living in Kansas. I was living in an apartment which had its lease till the 31st of Jan. I was sent regular emails to extend my lease but since I was planning to move out I didn't sign the extension. Now I'm new to the US and I had no idea that I had to let the renter know 30 days prior of moving out. I moved out before the 31st and after 2 days received a notification that the rent of February was being taken from me as well. I contacted the leasing agent and they said there's nothing they can do. If only I had received any email or message suggesting me to give a notice prior leaving from them I would have done it. I am a student and giving out the rent of 2 places in a month is really tough for me. Is there anything I can do?
Perhaps the former landlord will be willing to accept installment payments to let you pay the amount due over a period of time...

As I'm fairly sure that your lease states what is required for you to do when not renewing your lease, I highly doubt there is anything you can do.

In the future you should read your contract before signing, if you don't understand the contract bring it to an attorney for clarification.

I had no idea that I had to let the renter know 30 days prior of moving out.

Is there anything I can do?

I will respond to your question first.

Yes, you can continue paying your rent on time and in full.

Moving on to your admission as to why you failed to provide proper notice to the landlord upon lease expiration, read on dear poster, read on.

Did you mean LANDLORD, not RENTER?

You were renting the unit.
You were the tenant or RENTER.
You rented from the LANDLORD, not yourself.

You can answer your own question by reading your lease.

If you FAILED t notify the LANDLORD that you were vacating the unit in accordance with the lease, as stated in the lease, it would appear that YOU ALLOWED the lease to renew.

It matters NOT that you aren't a US citizen, as it didn't matter when you rented the unit.

If you were mentally incompetent to contract, that might matter in the legal sense.

It appears you are matriculating (or matriculated) successfully in a college/university, you have no such mental impairment/defect, or loss of your mental faculties.

That said, I suggest you start negotiations with the landlord to break the lease legally.

The landlord isn't required to allow you to break the lease, but can choose to allow it usually for a fee. You'll have to discuss it with the landlord to know if it is permitted, or what it might cost you.

Your other option is to stay in the unit until the lease expires.

I'm new to the US and I had no idea that I had to let the renter know 30 days prior of moving out.

What does being "new to the US" have to do with anything? Is this spelled out in the lease? Did you read the lease (before signing or otherwise)?

I moved out before the 31st and after 2 days received a notification that the rent of February was being taken from me as well.

Being taken how? Did you have things set up so that the landlord could automatically withdraw money from your bank account?

Is there anything I can do?

I'm sure you can do lots of things. Answer the questions I asked and I likely will have some further comments.

Linking to existing discussion at another site so that all may have the benefit of all comments.

Last edited:
Back