Money found in new condo

Status
Not open for further replies.

quuen

My mother recently bought a condo from an individual in Florida. A few weeks later when my mother arrived there, the previous owner called to say she found some more keys. She seemed extremely excited to comeover and bring them. When the previous owner arrived, she asked my mother whether we had cleaned and found anything. My mother said no. The previous owner asked if she could take a look, she might have forgotten something. The previous owner proceeded to enter the bedroom and remove an envelope from the top shelf in the closet, telling my mother it was just a bunch of papers. My mother said no its money, it was obvious. What I am getting at is, if we bought the condo and its "contents" is that envelope and anything inside legally ours? Im not asking morally, just legally? Thanks

This would likely depend upon your contract of sale, which would identify what each person owns. It is possible and probable that you own whatever is left in the premises but what kind of lawsuit would you have? The prior owner could say there was $20 in the envelope and you would never know... you may want to let this one go as even if you have a legal case, you have no idea how much to sue for. Additionally, we all know who the money truly belongs to so why bother pursuing a legal technicality to take money that morally should be returned?

Originally posted by quuen
My mother recently bought a condo from an individual in Florida. A few weeks later when my mother arrived there, the previous owner called to say she found some more keys. She seemed extremely excited to comeover and bring them. When the previous owner arrived, she asked my mother whether we had cleaned and found anything. My mother said no. The previous owner asked if she could take a look, she might have forgotten something. The previous owner proceeded to enter the bedroom and remove an envelope from the top shelf in the closet, telling my mother it was just a bunch of papers. My mother said no its money, it was obvious. What I am getting at is, if we bought the condo and its "contents" is that envelope and anything inside legally ours? Im not asking morally, just legally? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back