Moms Will needs changing

Status
Not open for further replies.

susana77

Hello,
Ever since my mother had her Will written and shown to me and my two brothers life has not been the same between us siblings 10 yrs ago we have never spoken since. My mom left my younger brother as executor of her will and me as executor of her living Will. My concern was at that time that if and when my mom would become incapable of handling her own finances that I would not be able to help her with these issues being that she left my younger brother as Executor, she at that time explained to me that her only reason for leaving him executor was that he lived closer to her. But since we had sold her home and now was going to move her closer to me she wanted to change the Will and make me executor being that I had time and was willing to help her and be more available to her compared to her younger son.
It was not till this question was mentioned to my younger brother that his response to me was "is this coming from your mouth or hers" in a very rude and condescending tone. I was shocked and truly bothered by his rude statement and did not answer him, we have never spoke again. Since this incident a few things have happened within our family and our mother who now shows signs of Dementia, which is very difficult for me to witness and see how the two brothers have excluded me from ALL of her daily needs to financial records after the sale of her home. The two have accused me and my family of hanenous things and have written me some truly disturbing letters since all this trajidy between us started so long ago. My questions are: 1)Do I have the right to change her Will and make me executor? 2) I feel she is not being taken care of properly,he hygiene is poor so is her living conditions. These two very controlling and abusive men who are my brothers are very difficult to deal with and there is no trying to talk with reason with either of them, making life for me miserable in trying to make sure that my mom is treated with dignity and proper care now that she is in poor health.

If your Mother is of "sound mind", she can change the will. If not, no, you cannot just change the will. You would need really good proof to a court why the appointed executor should be removed & you appointed executor.

I suggest you discuss this with a lawyer. You have no right to change anyone's will but your own.

If you believe your siblings are neglecting mother, you can report the neglect or abuse to the police or the agency in mother's state that protects elders. If mother is suffering from memory or dementia issues, you can retain an attorney and seek court approval to be her guardian or conservator.

I suggest you discuss this with an attorney in the state of mother's residence, as each state is quite different.

You children have actually been fighting over moms assets for ten years and she is just starting to exhibit declining health!!! I would leave it all to my cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back