Mold

mari hernandez

Jurisdiction
Florida
We moved in last year around April as tenants. 1 month after moving in we had a bubble form on the ceiling above the tub which we reported to the office. The bubble soon turned into a small leak when the bubble burst. The office had maintenance "fix" it. The bathroom was fine for a short while until the bubble came back and a leak started again. By now a substantial amount of mold had started to grow. This was maybe 3 months after moving in. Maintenance kept coming back in and out to check things out. They hired a 3rd party to fix it and now had to have that company come back out to fix it again. They then had someone come in and patch up the hole they had torn into the ceiling to fix the leak. Instead of cutting out all the ceiling the mold was covering they just painted over the mold. The mold came back and kept growing. Now 4 different tiles in the wall just below where the leak was are caving in. We have been bugging the office and maintenance for more than a month to come out and fix the wall and get rid of the mold. Our lease is soon to be up (12 month lease) and we have had mold since 2 months after moving in. I want to know if I can withhold rent or what kind of legal action can be taken against them. I have two babies, living with mold is unacceptable.

Back