Repairs, Maintenance Mold in the kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnoemis13

We moved into our house 18 months ago & have had constant problems with our landlord not fixing things on time & giving us the run around. Our major problem is mold. About 4 months ago we called to let them know the wall was bubbling & smelling foul. They ignored our call so finally we called city codes & they contacted our landlord & they had someone come out to sand the wall & repaint it. Well last month the mold came back. We called numerous amounts of times, left messages & again same problems. So we called city codes again. City codes came out, our landlord sent someone to look at the mold but all they did was replace the ceiling tiles. My husband called back the next day to tell them it is the kitchen wall that clearly needs fixed. The landlord said he came out & didn't see anything(bs because the city codes person said there clearly is mold). Needless to say my husband called again to say someone else needs to look at it. No one came the next day so my husband called yet again & was told that someone did come by & didn't see damage, which is another lie because I stay home with my children & was home all that day. So it's been 15 days since we called city code. I was wondering what are rights are? Can we move out without giving a 30 day notice? We have a 4 yr old, 3 yr old & an 8 month old. Tomorrow we are going to get a letter from their pediatricians' stating it is unhealthy for them to be living here plus we have the city codes reports & pictures. My husband is ready to move out now because this is the second time it has happened, I just need to know what our legal rights are as tenants?

You can move out anytime you wish.

But, it'll cost you to break your lease.

If the city inspector certifies your home as uninhabitable, that helps in breaking the lease without penalty.

But, you have to go to court to do it right.

If you just walk, it'll end up ruining your credit and costing you.

You may end up being unable to rent another home.

I suggest you work with the code inspectors to see what options are available to you.

The presence of mold won't allow you to automatically break your lease without penalties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back