Mistreated and singled out at work

Alan P Holly

Jurisdiction
Texas
[sending this for my fiancee] my supervisor walks me through procedures and when they are done wrong he lies to his boss about me and how he had nothing to do with the incident. Because i speak up i have been reprimanded for an incident that happened during my probation period months earlier and i am being singled out at work. today i had a call from corporate accusing me of talking sexually explicit to coworkers, using racist words against my own race, asking my boss sexually personal questions while driving in the car together (even though we have never been in a car together), as well as some other things that have not taken place. If i talk to anyone in the company they tell everyone what i say and then i have more issues. I have refused to talk to them or tell on other employees and they are upset with me for that also. What can i do about this? Is this some form of harassment?

Unless what's happening is a result of your race, ethnicity, gender, religion, etc., there is probably nothing illegal about it, so your only recourse will be to seek new employment.

if these incidents lead to a termination, would that still be legal?

Unless your friend has a personal employment contract, she can be terminated because the day of the week ends in the letter Y, a boss thinks she's obese, a boss says she is performing poorly, etc...

Employers are free to fire anyone, at anytime, for any reason, or no reason at all; as in "just get"!

Of course, if someone believes they were terminated in violation of certain legal protections, one is free to try and PROVE their allegation(s) in a court of law.

It's difficult to appreciate the full nature of what transpired. If there is a corporate handbook you should read it and become familiar with work procedures. If there is a need to document something that may have occurred, I have heard human resources suggesting to an employee that they email themselves events of a day with specific information to document as best as possible the incident and the date. I'm convinced that we don't know the totality of the situation to provide more meaningful feedback and is not a substitute for a proper legal consultation with an employment lawyer.

Back