Misspelled name on SS card. Question about passport, implications?

Hello, I am a naturalized US citizen and have lived in the US for over 2 decades. I just noticed that my last name is misspelled on my social security card. It is correct on my US driver's license and on my passport- which is now expired and I need to renew it. Will the misspelling on my social security card lead to any problems with my passport renewal or exiting/re-entering the USA? Also, how would I fix this problem?

I actually checked and it seems as though my name on my naturalization certificate and my SS card are incorrect. What to do in this scenario?

In that case I suggest going to USCIS and SSA on the same day and see who needs what first.

Hello, I am a naturalized US citizen and have lived in the US for over 2 decades. I just noticed that my last name is misspelled on my social security card AND on my naturalization certificate! It is correct on my US driver's license and on my passport- which is now expired and I need to renew it. Will the misspelling on my social security card and naturalization certificate lead to any problems with my passport renewal or exiting/re-entering the USA? Also, how would I fix this problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, I am a naturalized US citizen and have lived in the US for over 2 decades. I just noticed that my last name is misspelled on my social security card. It is correct on my US driver's license and on my passport- which is now expired and I need to renew it. Will the misspelling on my social security card lead to any problems with my passport renewal or exiting/re-entering the USA? Also, how would I fix this problem?

I actually checked and it seems as though my name on my naturalization certificate and my SS card are incorrect. What to do in this scenario?

I suggest you dismiss pursuing this little scheme.

If an internet dummy (that would be ME) can discern what this little ploy is about, the GENIUSES at USCIS and SS will see through this immediately!!!!

Back