Missed date to take defensive driving for deferred adjudication

Status
Not open for further replies.

busylife

I received a ticket in Grapevine, TX for running a red light last November, and was given 90 days to request and receive a copy of my driving record from the State, and to take a defensice driving course. Submitting these and a processing fee would result in deferred adjudication on my ticket.

Simply put, I mailed away for the copy of my driving record, and forgot about it. I was reminded about it this weekend when I received the letter from the court ordering my to appear before a judge next month to show cause as to why I did not comply with the terms set forth in a timely manner.

What do I do? I don't want to get arrested or go to jail over a traffic ticket. Should I schedule and take the defensive course between now and then? Would that help? Do I have to pay the original fine and take the hit on my driving record (and insurance)? Do I need to hire a lawyer?

Any advice would be appreciated.

This is simple.

Call the court and tell them your driver's record has not arrived.

Ask them to allow you 30 days to complete everything.

Normally, that will be allowed by asking very nicely and offering an apology for not staying on top of things.

Be very, very, nice and apologetic.

Do not demand anything and offer many thank you, ma'ams!!!!

Then get busy doing everything to make this go away.

You can also get a deferred adjudication without taking a defensive driving class and paying a higher fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
No extension for me...

Well, I called. I was polite. I asked for another 30 or even 15 days to get things taken care. I was politely informed that all I could do at this point is show up for my court date on 4/7.

So, I guess I will take the defensive driving course anyway. It can't hurt for me to show up and show I at least made an effort to be compliant.

On the court date, if you've completed the defensive driving class and have your driving record, you can apologize to the court for being remiss.

Then you can ask the judge if the deferred adjudication can be reconsidered.

Most likely, if you've done those things, you'll get your wish.

But, if you get it, you must avoid another citation for 90 days.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back