Student Loans misleading counseling for students

Claudia Bell

Jurisdiction
Kentucky
On my student loan account, I saw for the first time that I owed a lot of money to Liberty University and Capella University. Capella University says I owe $3,638 plus $2,173 for an account opened on December 29, 2009. Then it says that I owe $8,674 to Liberty University, which was opened on March 18, 2013. Even though I talked to the admissions offices at both of these schools, I was told that I wouldn't be charged or that no money would be taken out of my account because I dropped the classes before the deadline. So, I never went to any of these colleges.

Capella University says I owe $3,638 plus $2,173 for an account opened on December 29, 2009. Then it says that I owe $8,674 to Liberty University, which was opened on March 18, 2013.

When did these debts supposedly become delinquent? That is, when was payment supposed to be made? Did you make any of the payment? When did you find out about these outstanding claims of money being owed to the schools? Even if the debts were valid when the loans originated it may be too late now for the lenders to sue you to collect.

When did these debts supposedly become delinquent? That is, when was payment supposed to be made? Did you make any of the payment? When did you find out about these outstanding claims of money being owed to the schools? Even if the debts were valid when the loans originated it may be too late now for the lenders to sue you to collect.
both are in good standing.

On my student loan account, I saw for the first time that I owed a lot of money to Liberty University and Capella University. Capella University says I owe $3,638 plus $2,173 for an account opened on December 29, 2009. Then it says that I owe $8,674 to Liberty University, which was opened on March 18, 2013.

I'm confused. When you refer to "my student loan account," what exactly are you talking about? And why would this "student loan account" say that you owe $X to University #1 and $Y to University #2? Do you supposedly owe the money to the schools or to some loan servicer? The reference later in your post to money being "taken out of [your] account" suggests that you don't owe the money to the schools but, instead, owe it to a lender who paid money to the schools on your behalf.

I dropped the classes before the deadline.

So...you enrolled in two separate universities and then withdrew from your classes?

both are in good standing.

So...for 9 and 13 years, you've been paying loans for schools you claim you never attended.

I note that you've posted four times in this thread and haven't asked a question. Do you have one?

Back