Criminal Law Misdimeanor charge history and H1b visa stamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ineedachance

Long story in short, I lived in the states for about 5 years doing PhD study and one year work after the degree.
I made horrible mistake two months ago when my life was falling apart after I failed to get a job that I wanted.
I was arrested for a theft, bailed myself out, and hire an attorney.
I am charged for misdimeanor, and my attorney will going to appear for the fisrt time in July.
I am not in the states at the moment because my previous visa was expired last month.
Problem is.. I got a job offer from a university and they offer H1b. I'm in the process to get paper works done for the visa interview, and I wished I won't be charged before my interview, but now I'm charged for misdimeanor.

What is the chance that my visa will be rejected?
Should I say Yes to all criminal charge history questions on pre-visa filing questions?
What should I do..

It very well could create an issue. Any time you make the decision to commit a crime, you put your immigrant status in potential jeopardy. I don't know what "class" misdemeanor & I guess it is "possible" you'll be ok & if there is nothing else on your record. There is no way for us to know for sure. You do need to be truthful when answering all questions.

You really need to consider sharing the details of the charge with an immigration attorney at this time & get his/her opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back