Misdemeanor for being in a park after hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dle02077

My friend and I both got a citation for "Park Closure" in Santa Monica and we are due in court very soon. We were on a biking trip from Orange County to Santa Monica, and had stopped at the park to rest a bit at 3:55 am not realizing the park opens up at 5 am. The police only asked a few questions and just gave us our citation. This is my first violation ever and I am worried about how this could affect my career later when I graduate.

1. How do I obtain a public defender before my first appointment at court?
2. Any other tips of what I need to do?

Thanks

You should have some contact info on your citation for the courthouse. If not look it up, call them, and ask how to get in touch wtih the public defenders office. One key thing to ask the public defender is what the maximum penalty is.

It's probably nothing more than a $50 fine, in which case it's really not something you would need a public defender for. If the fine is something small like that, then you best bet may be to actually just plead not guilty, go to court and explain to the judge that you didn't realize the park was closed, and now you realize you need to pay better attention. Worst case would be the fine, that you should be able to take care of easily enough, and best case is the judge may drop the case.

As for your job, it's hard to say for 100% certain, not knowing what your career will be, but being a smiple misdemeanor you shouldn't have too much to worry about either. Most employers are concerned about a felony, and even if you do have to declare this, I would say they aren't going to worry about it.

It is just a misdemeanor!

You will be going to the "misdemeanor arraignment" court room on that date, and after you check in with the bailiff and before your name is called to go before the judge, you will be called to step outside to meet and confer with a public defender, so not to fret on that part. It is automatic.

Also, do not worry one bit, in fact not at all, about this citation affecting your career in any shape or form as you are only answering for a misdemeanor citation and not a felony complaint; the citation you were issued is just a half step higher in the pecking order than an infraction and just consider it like a parking ticket. There will be no arrest record and nothing will show on your permanent record.

The public defender will most likely come bearing a plea bargain from the city attorney, a deal if you will, whereby you will pay a reduced fine and case-closed in exchange for a guilty plea, which is really the way to go in this type of situation. Misdemeanor arraignment calendars are always heavily loaded with defendants and the occasions only reason for being and the court's only intention is to relieve you of your hard earned cash and move the line as fast as possible.

So, nothing to be concerned about here!

fredrikklaw

I went back to the park in Santa Monica and took some pictures of the surroundings for a sign or some sorts but did not find any. Even walking around the area, I couldn't find anything regarding the park closure at 12 am - 5 am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back