Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication MIP - Trying to enlist - Any negotiation possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexM

Last October my friend (who is also my roommate) and I (who are both 19) drove up to Santa Barbara, California for the huge Halloween festival they have there. We had just gotten there and were looking for a place to park when an officer at one of the checkpoints stopped me to tell me to turn down my music. Another officer walked around the car and spotted a bottle of wine in plain view in the backseat. Turns out my friend had thrown it back there just before we left and I didn't know it was there. Of course neither of us was going to jump right up and claim it, so we both denied it, saying it was a friend's. They explained that someone was going to have to take responsibility for it, and if it was neither of ours then the MIP would have to be given to the driver. Wanting to avoid further confrontation I decided to just step up and take the ticket to get it over with.

I'm an American citizen, but I grew up in Europe, so I'm not that familiar with California laws. So I was under the impression that I would just be getting a fine in the mail, and I would split it with my friend. Well now I have a mandatory court appearance in Santa Barbara, 200 miles from where I am. The distance wouldn't normally be a problem, but at the moment I am absolutely broke. My checking and savings accounts literally amount to less than $20. So I can't even afford the gas to get up there, let alone an attorney or any kind of legal counsel. I'm probably going to have to borrow the money for gas from my grandparents.

What annoys me is that - I am not a criminal! I grew up in Europe and have always lived, I guess, a pretty sheltered life. I am a law abiding citizen for the most part, and try to do the right thing whenever possible. My mom, dad, and four-year-old sister (who is everything in the world to me), still live in Europe, and I moved out here two summers ago for college. So I have been attending university here for the past year and a half, but am now leaving it to do something noble and serve my country in the armed forces.

Now here's my concern. I am supposed to be finishing up the enlistment process at the end of the month and shipping off, but I won't be able to if there's anything outstanding on my record. And from what I've read on the internet, it looks like I'm going to be stuck with a fine, community service, and a suspended license. I can deal with a fine of up to a couple hundred dollars (though I'd have to borrow it from a friend). As for community service though, there's no way I could do it all before the end of the month. I am trying to enlist to serve this country for six or more years (and possibly my whole life) in the armed services, but I won't be able to if this is outstanding on my record. Also, not only will this hold me up, I may not be able to get the necessary security clearance for the job that I am joining for in the first place. And as for a suspended license, the public transit system is so inefficient in US cities (at least here in San Diego), I don't know how I'd get by without a car.

So what I'm thinking of doing is requesting a bench trial and explaining to the judge my past history to try to show that I am good person. All I have on my record is one speeding ticket. Now I'm trying to join the military so I can serve my country and am going to be held up by this. So I'm trying to go fight for this country, and I very well may die doing so, but not before I pay a fine and perform some community service, and even then it would have to be on a suspended license. So I'm hoping that I will be able to negotiate for a fine, possibly a suspended license for up to three months while I am at boot camp, and probation. Does this seem at all likely?

Also, how do you go about getting legal counsel before a trial? And do these kinds of cases usually get settled in one day? I am driving up there at 3:00 in the morning some day early next week so I can be there by 8:00am. and if I have to stay there more than one day will have to sleep in my car outside the courthouse.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back