MIP plus 74 in a 65

0305Maggie

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
Hi I just got caught in NC for going 74 in a 75. The cop searched my car and found the five unopened bottles of liquor I had in my bag. I was charged with minor in possession and was asked to poor all the bottles of liquor out, which I complied with. My court date is the 15th of July and I am wondering what is the best thing to do in my situation. I am 18 and I am really trying not to tell my parents. Please help!

The two best things:

Tell your parents - They'll find out anyway.

Hire a lawyer.

It's a Class 1 misdemeanor punishable by fines and jail time and a criminal record that can haunt you for the rest of your life.

Hi I just got caught in NC for going 74 in a 75. The cop searched my car and found the five unopened bottles of liquor I had in my bag. I was charged with minor in possession and was asked to poor all the bottles of liquor out, which I complied with. My court date is the 15th of July and I am wondering what is the best thing to do in my situation. I am 18 and I am really trying not to tell my parents. Please help!
Do you live at home? Are you in college? If yes ...Do you have a scholarship?

Lawyer up. You have a shot to avoid the MIP and reduce this to just the speeding ticket. You will need legal counsel to make it happen.

DO NOT plead guilty or no contest without first speaking to an attorney.

The title of the thread is "MIP plus 74 in a 65"

I saw that after posting.

My court date is the 15th of July and I am wondering what is the best thing to do in my situation.

Well...you've got a relatively minor traffic offense and a really minor non-traffic offense. The traffic offense will get you a fine (I have no idea how much). The non-traffic offense will probably get you a bigger fine and maybe probation and/or some sort of alcohol deterrent school. How a conviction might affect you now and in the future is something only a local attorney can advise you about, so I suggest you seek a consultation.

The traffic violation, over 20mph, likely gets extra points on the license and effects insurance more, which seems to be the biggest concern here.

I'd bet there is a good chance of getting a few mph knocked off and having a traffic school option. Asking nicely can go a long way.

He gave you a break. Had he written you up for 75 (which you almost certainly were going), the charges would be much more serious. I'm going to disagree with Zippity, the MIP is not minor. It's still a misdemeanor and will result in a criminal record. While it could have a small jail sentence associated with it, he's right it's likely just going to be a fine.

You'd want to avoid the conviction. There's an Alcohol Education Program that might be available to you to avoid such. You should inquire with the court. If you can't figure it out, get an attorney.

As for the traffic ticket, you can avoid the points (but end up paying more money likely in the long run) if you ask for a PJC. The judge may or may not require you to take a defensive driving course (it depends on the county).

In North Carolina, anything over 75MPH in 65 is a 4 pointer (plus there are other restrictions like PBJ not being allowed).

Back