Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication MIP in TX-18 yrs. old

Status
Not open for further replies.

miamaree

Saturday night (feb. 5 @ 7:45 PM) I went to the Texas Mardi Gras concert where beer was everywhere. There were drunk 12 year olds running into walls. Regardless, a man handed me a beer as I was walking passed him and I said "no thanks, I really don't want one" and tried to get him to take it back. He repeatedly declined so my only option was to throw it away. There was a trash can 15-20 feet from me and I began to walk towards it, with a full beer in hand, open, and in a coozie (spelling?). I did not take a a drink and had not been drinking that night.

I understand that legally I was in control of an alcoholic beverage so technically the MIP is justified. Yet it still seems unfair.

I am just wondering if my parents will find out about this and what steps I need to take to keep this from my record. Is it likely that my license will be suspended, in which case I assume insurance will be notified and my parents will be informed because they pay for my insurance.

Should I just pay the fine or would my best option be to get a lawyer and go to court and try to get it deferred?

This is my first ticket for anything, never been in trouble (senior in high school, if that matters). As the cop was writing my ticket he kept making comments about how everyone makes mistakes and this isn't a big deal etc. etc. So I get the feeling that he will not make an issue of it in court, especially since probably around 500 MIPs were written out that night in the same place. He basically said he was making a living off writing MIPs and they were being given to everyone.

It happened in Dallas and my court date is for court in Lancaster for some reason. Lancaster is a town with a lot of legal and criminal problems so I feel like they will have better things to worry about than a little 18 year old girl's first MIP. I just need some advice from someone about what type of punishment they feel I will receive and if I should get a lawyer.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back