Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication MIP In San Diego, Will I get license suspension?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmtan

So I got an MIP on Sungod festival, where a good chunk of the campus was drunk, just like two other people who have posted on this forum. I did search for their situations, but there was nothing mentioned about license suspension.

The officer made it very clear it was an infraction and not a misdemeanor. Me and my friend who got caught were very cooperative and even made small talk with the cop (found out we were from the same hometown, he told us today was the worst day to drink cuz there were a lot of undercover cops).

Recently, I got into a car accident which I caused. Will that make the judge lean towards a license suspension for me? Will it help my case if I told him I am willing to pay a greater fine and do more community service?

Also, my friend who got an MIP is hiring a lawyer. Is that necessary if I am totally willing to pay the fine and do the community service? Will it decrease my chances of getting a license suspension (if it is high?).

help please? I need to go to court in two weeks, and I'd appreciate it if I was told what to do. Thanks in advance.

What code section were you cited under? And does it indicate whether you have to appear in traffic court, or some other court? What court are you supposed to appear in? Also, is the "M" box checked indicating it is a misdemeanor?

- Carl

Thanks for your response CdwJava. It says 25662(a) BP, Minor in possession of alcohol. The box checked is nontraffic, but I do have to appear in a central division - traffic court.

Last edited:
They are probably charging it as an infraction - that was the custom when I worked there.

Your license CAN be suspended for a year. You might be able to ask for a restricted license upon conviction.

I'm not sure that an attorney can help you much, but a decent one MIGHT be able to get you a fine and allow you to keep your license. Maybe.

- Carl

Does my recent car accident have any bearing on the decision of whether my license is suspended or not?

And as I said in my first post, the cop made it very clear that it was an infraction (he repeated it like 4 times).

The prior collision should have no effect on the charge here. However, a judge might take it into consideration if deciding to grant you a restricted license or not.

- Carl

oh I also heard that San Diego got a new "DA" and that he's a lot harsher? So it looks kinda grim? That's what my friend who got a lawyer said :dunno:

ah i got one also. will the fact that i received a passed infraction for a non traffic violation have any weight when i go into court?

actually...my court date was supposed to be july 23rd, but I got 30 day extension on it because I called in to extend it because I'm going to be in norcal for the summer. The DA is harsher now? Aw, now I'm worried haha. So yea, tell me how everything goes. thanks! :]

well, I got my license suspended, as did everyone else <18 there. You can apply for a restricted license though, to and from work. I don't have housing yet (roommates wanted a diff place cuz our old place had someone nearby get held up at gunpoint wtff), so I'm gonna go to the courthouse later. Hopefully they'll allow me to get a restricted license to gym/ hiphop classes too.... bleh.

woops digression. Anyway, the fine for MIP was 152, and open container of alcohol was 89, and you get off free if you're within 6 months of turning 21. hope this helps.

wow, that sucks. so u got your license suspended if you're younger than 18? what about under 21? i'm probably going down to SD next week to see what will happen. thanks for the info though :]

well, i went to court today and my MIP ticket was $89 and i have a restricted license to work, school, and home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back