MIP and Law school applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

nd2001

I am applying to Law school and was wondering what I answer to this question.
"Have you been charged, convicted, or forfeited bond or bail in any court proceeding of a criminal nature (including major traffic offenses?"
When i was 18 I was cited with an MIP in the state of Oregon. I paid a fine of $75 and that was it. I am now 23 trying to get into law school. That was my first an only MIP. How much into detail do I go describing what happened etc. on my applications? Will they place a lot of weight on the fact that I have one? I know I probably could have gotten it expunged, but I never did. Now im nervous......What is the best way to handle this???

Tough call but if you this is one area where getting caught will have severe repercussions. Difficult to say how much weight will be placed on it, if at all. Only the schools admissions committee knows. You probably are not the only one. If you still can get it expunged you should do so.

what is it?

So is an MIP something that is considered a criminal offense???
I wasnt arrested or anything like that, it was more like it was a speeding ticket the way it was handled.
I know its kind of serious, but what is the legal description of it?
I mean, was I "charged and convicted or forfeited bond or bail in a court proceeding of a criminal nature?" I never went to court, i just paid $75?

What court were you supposed to appear in? We don't know the charge and the statue -- nor the court in which you were sentenced to appear. You made a plea bargain and settled the matter for the fine. If you agree to pay a fine for a speeding ticket (in a municipal traffic court, not criminal court unless it may include something more serious). This should assist you in determining whether you fall into the scope of the application. It is quite possible that your plea may not need to be included in your application but you probably still would want to get it expunged if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back