Other Criminal Charges & Offenses Minor steals car from grandparent

leslie82

Jurisdiction
Nebraska
Honestly I don't really care that this happened but I'm confused by the response.

Apparently my ex's oldest son is turning into a little thug like him - 15 years old and doing meth, stole from his mom and her boyfriend and then grandma (ex MIL) came to rescue him thinking she could square him away. I knew that was going to blow up in her face. I found out on my own he's using drugs - she tried to convince me to let him come visit my daughter last weekend. No thank you.

I knew it was a matter of time before he stole from his grandma and her husband. My ex's older daughter told me last night the kid stole his stepgrandpa's truck, grandma's phone and took off. They assume he's going back to South Dakota (where he lives). His stepgrandpa called the cops and they said they couldn't do anything.

That's where I'm confused. I know they won't go get him but couldn't they get a warrant issue for the stolen property? Wouldn't that then come up if they find the truck, run the plates and see it's stolen? I know the county they live in the cops are basically worthless. I find it odd that if a minor who can't even legally drive steals a car and other stuff they can't do anything about it at all. His mom had called the cops on him when he stole from her boyfriend so that's why he let grandma get him.

I honestly hope he gets arrested and someone does something to wake him up. 15 and already been in rehab, drinking and smoking weed since 12, on meth already...sad story all around. But I was perplexed the cops said they can't do anything and just wondering how this would work. My ex took my car a couple years ago without my permission and they got him for unauthorized use of a vehicle.

His stepgrandpa called the cops and they said they couldn't do anything.

Only the caller knows what he told the cops.

More than likely he said the kid had permission to drive the truck and regularly possessed (or was given a set of) the keys.

If he said something along those lines it becomes a civil matter.

The grandfather might try calling the county in the state where the felon in training lives or is thought to be heading, report the vehicle theft, along with the cellphone theft.

In order for someone to get caught, the vehicle and its VIN must be entered into NCIC.

That's where I'm confused. I know they won't go get him but couldn't they get a warrant issue for the stolen property?

The police probably aren't doing anything because they don't consider the truck as stolen.

The boy was a member of the household. He had access to the truck and obviously had access to the keys, which could imply permission to use the truck.

Grandma made a colossal mistake getting involved with this kid.

The police probably aren't doing anything because they don't consider the truck as stolen.

The boy was a member of the household. He had access to the truck and obviously had access to the keys, which could imply permission to use the truck.

Grandma made a colossal mistake getting involved with this kid.

But he was just visiting for the week.

Oh I know she did but that's what she does. She thinks because she works in a halfway house and she's barely into getting her Bachelor's in counseling that she is a drug counselor already...and disregarding people should never counsel their family if they are counselors. I laughed when my daughter's sister told me about it. She's a year younger than the oldest. Much, much smarter than her brother too.

Only the caller knows what he told the cops.

More than likely he said the kid had permission to drive the truck and regularly possessed (or was given a set of) the keys.

If he said something along those lines it becomes a civil matter.

The grandfather might try calling the county in the state where the felon in training lives or is thought to be heading, report the vehicle theft, along with the cellphone theft.

In order for someone to get caught, the vehicle and its VIN must be entered into NCIC.

He's only been there not even a week. He was visiting.

He's only been there not even a week. He was visiting.

Yes, but the police don't see it that way.

Moreover, I bet the grandfather cleaned up what he really told the police, and what was told to you is far different that what was actually said.

I know the police will take a complaint, an officer will always be sent to your location to investigate further, or you can always walk into any police station all across this country and see a detective.

Well, maybe not in some parts of Chicago, LA, and NYC; but in the places not on the coast or 3rd largest city; you certainly can.

That goes double for NE, SD, IA, WY and states with smaller population centers and cities.

I would be extremely surprised if things happened as you say and police say they could do nothing.
You might confirm details with your source of information.

Yes, but the police don't see it that way.

Moreover, I bet the grandfather cleaned up what he really told the police, and what was told to you is far different that what was actually said.

I know the police will take a complaint, an officer will always be sent to your location to investigate further, or you can always walk into any police station all across this country and see a detective.

Well, maybe not in some parts of Chicago, LA, and NYC; but in the places not on the coast or 3rd largest city; you certainly can.

That goes double for NE, SD, IA, WY and states with smaller population centers and cities.

They didn't tell me. My ex's oldest daughter told me that he stole their stepgrandpa's car and grandma's phone and took off. But after work I had a message that said he got arrested. So he probably made it back to his hometown and the police got him for stealing from his mom's boyfriend last week (she called the cops on that - he stole a bunch of stuff from their garage). I'll assume that was it.

I just know what his sister told me so i don't know what all got told the cops. I just thought it was weird since my ex got arrested for unauthorized use of a vehicle when he took my car then threatened to ram it into a wall if I didn't give him $100 for gas and meth. The cops were here when he came back that night and cuffed him and took him to jail.

Eh - he got what he deserved (his son). He's probably in juvie if he got arrested and hopefully they send him to a group home or something. I doubt this will wake his ass up though. I suppose in two years when he's an adult he'll share a cell with his dad.

I guess he didn't get arrested - the stepgrandpa's FB is public and he was posting all about it and his truck was missing and posted in an exchange my brother is in. He blocked me after I laughed at him and said karma is a bitch huh? They knew what would happen and he's a horrible, abusive man child anyway so I hope he never gets his truck back. I'm sure that kid will get picked up sooner or later since they're looking for him for stealing too. This is what happens when parents don't discipline their kids, let them think they're above everything and do drugs around them.

I guess he didn't get arrested - the stepgrandpa's FB is public and he was posting all about it and his truck was missing and posted in an exchange my brother is in. He blocked me after I laughed at him and said karma is a bitch huh? They knew what would happen and he's a horrible, abusive man child anyway so I hope he never gets his truck back. I'm sure that kid will get picked up sooner or later since they're looking for him for stealing too. This is what happens when parents don't discipline their kids, let them think they're above everything and do drugs around them.

When our kids were entering adolescence I'd often remind them about what happens when a person goes rogue in society.

If you smoke weed, steal, drive without insurance, etc... eventually it all adds up to huge deficit.

One citation, two citations, misdemeanor arrest, first felony arrest, probation, probation revoked, sooner or later, a prison cell.

You've crippled, if not ruined your life by consistently violating society's rules, norms, and laws.

Being a parent is hard work, work that never ceases.

We reap what we sow.

Thanks to my mother, father, grandparents for keeping me on the right path.

That enabled me to keep my kids on the right path.

I would always say, "Don't listen to me, ignore me if you dare, society pays people to deal with miscreants."

Last evening my wife and I were in a grocery store.

A young man came up to her and asked, "Do you remember me?"

She said, "Yes, you're Dana."

The young man laughed and said, "I just want to thank you for failing me."

She quickly corrected him, "You failed yourself."

He laughed and said, "Yes, it was all on me. I had always gotten 'A's, and didn't think I'd fail. Anyway, it woke me up. I learned you can't talk yourself out of stuff, or have others pressure someone to get you out of trouble. I went to college, became an RN, earned my masters in nursing and I'm a charge nurse."

My wife smiled saying, "I'm so proud of you."

More small talk, he asked to hug her, and we finished our shopping.

She had the biggest smile on her face as we chatted about the kid's back story.

She confessed to me that kids like that is why she loves teaching and is reluctant to retire.

I simply said I can understand that and said you'll know when you're ready, just as I knew when I was ready, until then steady as you go.

I love success stories.
I don't often admit it, but I want everyone to succeed at whatever they pursue.
Imagine what kind of country we'd have if everyone with a dream achieved it.

When our kids were entering adolescence I'd often remind them about what happens when a person goes rogue in society.

If you smoke weed, steal, drive without insurance, etc... eventually it all adds up to huge deficit.

One citation, two citations, misdemeanor arrest, first felony arrest, probation, probation revoked, sooner or later, a prison cell.

You've crippled, if not ruined your life by consistently violating society's rules, norms, and laws.

Being a parent is hard work, work that never ceases.

We reap what we sow.

Thanks to my mother, father, grandparents for keeping me on the right path.

That enabled me to keep my kids on the right path.

I would always say, "Don't listen to me, ignore me if you dare, society pays people to deal with miscreants."

Last evening my wife and I were in a grocery store.

A young man came up to her and asked, "Do you remember me?"

She said, "Yes, you're Dana."

The young man laughed and said, "I just want to thank you for failing me."

She quickly corrected him, "You failed yourself."

He laughed and said, "Yes, it was all on me. I had always gotten 'A's, and didn't think I'd fail. Anyway, it woke me up. I learned you can't talk yourself out of stuff, or have others pressure someone to get you out of trouble. I went to college, became an RN, earned my masters in nursing and I'm a charge nurse."

My wife smiled saying, "I'm so proud of you."

More small talk, he asked to hug her, and we finished our shopping.

She had the biggest smile on her face as we chatted about the kid's back story.

She confessed to me that kids like that is why she loves teaching and is reluctant to retire.

I simply said I can understand that and said you'll know when you're ready, just as I knew when I was ready, until then steady as you go.

I love success stories.
I don't often admit it, but I want everyone to succeed at whatever they pursue.
Imagine what kind of country we'd have if everyone with a dream achieved it.

With my ex stepson - he hasn't had a chance so far in his life. No stable adults at all. His mom was 17 when she got pregnant, my ex was 19. They barely knew each other. Met and hooked up in a hot tub. He forgot about her until nine months later and he was hanging out with two of her friends and they said they were going to see her in the hospital. It took him a minute to remember her and said "oh yeah what's wrong with her?" "Oh she's having a baby." Still it didn't click in his head. He went drunk to the hospital and saw the baby - who looks exactly like him. Twins 20 years apart. Then 2 months later she called him up and said she had another guy DNA tested and he didn't match and told him that was his kid. DNA test - yep. (No crap though).

Then a year later she married this other dipshit who is actually worse than my ex and had 3 more kids with him. She moved and told no one in his family or him where she was for 2 years. Then had issues with her husband, hooked up with him (and he was married to his first wife) and then would go back to her husband. Eventually divorced her husband- then her mom died and she started in on meth and was in and out of jail. Then by the point the stepdad beat my ex's son with a belt we were together, I was pregnant. I told him let's get a lawyer and get custody. No he had to get meth. They eventually gave custody to the stepdad after the mom was in jail and my ex wasn't trying to get him. Then last year in July the mom got custody back right before the ex stepdad got arrested for kidnapping and assault of his girlfriend and their 2 year old daughter...and somehow he's not in jail even though the kidnapping is a pretty big charge in SD.

I guess the mom has been sober for almost 2 years now and is working and all but he has had absent parents his whole life. He had people telling him he's a "pimp" and he has the same attitude his dad did in high school. He's had that since 10 years old. He started drinking and doing weed at 12. Stole from Scheel's at 12 and got banned from it. It was a matter of time before this all happened. He has no one who is a positive, stable role model and no one who has ever disciplined him - plus being abused and around drugs his whole life.

He needs serious help and NOT from my ex's family or his mom. I think he needs a group home or hell send him to a military school or something. He needs structure and discipline and my ex MIL definitely doesn't know how to do that and apparently not his mom. His only dad he's had in his life is a woman beating pos. (As is his biological father).

He's at the point he needs to choose the path - be like his parents or be better than them. But he won't be around my daughter until he's straightened out even if he is her brother. And I really hope my ex MIL's husband never gets his truck back. He's a pos too.

But he won't be around my daughter until he's straightened out even if he is her brother.

That is the same decision I would make as her parent.

When she reaches adulthood, she is free to choose for herself.

I was taught that a parent should protect a child.

As far as the young man he chooses wisely, behaves appropriately, or he'll lose his freedom.

Some people end up not caring, and keep doing stuff that causes repeat prison stays.

When its all said and done, we're all responsible for every choice we make as adults.

That is the same decision I would make as her parent.

When she reaches adulthood, she is free to choose for herself.

I was taught that a parent should protect a child.

As far as the young man he chooses wisely, behaves appropriately, or he'll lose his freedom.

Some people end up not caring, and keep doing stuff that causes repeat prison stays.

When its all said and done, we're all responsible for every choice we make as adults.

Apparently his grandma is trying to get custody of him...that child is doomed. I find it odd that CPS would offer her custody when four years ago they didn't consider anyone in my ex's family after the now former stepdad beat the kid with a belt and all the kids were removed. His mom is more unstable than anyone right now (ex MIL). I can't wait til we move and I know I won't see anyone in his family for sure moving to the other side of the country.

Back