Minor Name Change 1 Parent nonconsent

Status
Not open for further replies.

safeinfl

I have full custody of my two children. We have Orders of Protection and are in the FL "Confidential Address Program". The children have not seen their father in three years, there is no visitation in place either. He will not consent if asked. If I change their last name do I have to have him served he lives in another state or can I use the "Constructive Notice" method instead?

If you know where Dad is, you have to serve him to get their names changes. He has to give his permission, unless you can persuade a judge there is good reason to change those names.

Do you know of reasons judges approve? My children have asked me repeatedly to change their names that they want the same last name as me. I participate in their schools and extracurricular activities, when introduced with a different name it bothers them. They also want nothing to do with their father as he was abusive and held them hostage with a knife for 9 hours.

Do you know of reasons judges approve? My children have asked me repeatedly to change their names that they want the same last name as me. I participate in their schools and extracurricular activities, when introduced with a different name it bothers them. They also want nothing to do with their father as he was abusive and held them hostage with a knife for 9 hours.

Boyzgirl gave you great advice.
You only need court approval to change your name.
Do that, the kids will be happier, allegedly.
Soooooo much easier, and no name is unique anyway.
Jones Smith Brown Blue Black Peppers Ginger - it's how you live your life that adds value and character to the name you bear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back