Minor Driving Without A Drivers License

Miguel594

Jurisdiction
California
So today I got pulled over for a break light being out. I am 17 and don't have a license or a permit. My mom was sitting down next to me as well. The police officer gave me a ticket for not having a license, not having prove of insurance, and the breaklight being out. I want to know what ware the consequences of me getting pulled over without having a drivers license. Please help and thank you.

So today I got pulled over for a break light being out. I am 17 and don't have a license or a permit. My mom was sitting down next to me as well. The police officer gave me a ticket for not having a license, not having prove of insurance, and the breaklight being out. I want to know what ware the consequences of me getting pulled over without having a drivers license. Please help and thank you.

The consequences for you (and your mother & father) will be severe, mentally, physically, and financially.

Your could potentially receive a substantial a fine, up to 6 months in juvenile hall, and an extension of one year or more as to when you could actually obtain a license in the future.

In other words, you won't be eligible to be issued a license even after your charges have been addressed for a year, give or take a couple of months!!!!

Actually, a license extension, probation, a fine, a drivers education course, and community service is often the end result.

Also any car you drive MIGHT be impounded for up to 30 days costing $2,000 (give or take) to get out of impound.

Of course, YMMV!

The consequences for you (and your mother & father) will be severe, mentally, physically, and financially.

Your could potentially receive a substantial a fine, up to 6 months in juvenile hall, and an extension of one year or more as to when you could actually obtain a license in the future.

In other words, you won't be eligible to be issued a license even after your charges have been addressed for a year, give or take a couple of months!!!!

Actually, a license extension, probation, a fine, a drivers education course, and community service is often the end result.

Also any car you drive MIGHT be impounded for up to 30 days costing $2,000 (give or take) to get out of impound.

Of course, YMMV!
I am able to drop the no insurance and back light infraction by proof upon the court. But the fact that my mom was there, does it worsen the infraction of driving without a license?

I am able to drop the no insurance and back light infraction by proof upon the court. But the fact that my mom was there, does it worsen the infraction of driving without a license?

You can't beat the no insurance charge, mate.
Why?
No insurance company will provide insurance for any unlicensed driver, especially a never licensed minor.

You can't beat the no insurance charge, mate.
Why?
No insurance company will provide insurance for any unlicensed driver, especially a never licensed minor.
Ironically I have an appointment with the DMV to take my written test in days. I called the DMV and said I can still show up and take the test becuase the ticket will not show on my record until court date. My court date is in 2 months. I believe i am able to get my drivers licenses within that time, what do you think will happen then in court. Also the vehicle i was driving was my fathers and the police officer did not impound it. He said the charge was minor and let me off the hook but a licensed driver had to drive the car.

Ironically I have an appointment with the DMV to take my written test in days. I called the DMV and said I can still show up and take the test becuase the ticket will not show on my record until court date. My court date is in 2 months. I believe i am able to get my drivers licenses within that time, what do you think will happen then in court. Also the vehicle i was driving was my fathers and the police officer did not impound it. He said the charge was minor and let me off the hook but a licensed driver had to drive the car.

You must have met the famous, Officer Fred Friendly.

Officer Friendly is known all over for cutting people breaks.
You beat the car impounding, thanks to Officer Friendly.

You'll get a license, but once DMV gets notice of your citations, and the insurance company your father or mother use gets notice, bad stuff could happen.

The stuff I mentioned above.

You'll just have to sweat it out, because the fun has just begun.

I can just see the rate for ins. once the ins. co. gets notice.

From this $

To this $ $ $ $

More than that but I couldn't make the font any bigger.

Whoever owned the car and insured it, might also receive an inquiry from the insurance company wanting to know why an unlicensed person was allowed to chauffeur one of the owners around the county in the car insured by the curious company?

Whoever owned the car and insured it, might also receive an inquiry from the insurance company wanting to know why an unlicensed person was allowed to chauffeur one of the owners around the county in the car insured by the curious company?
I'm curious are you some kind of lawyer, it may sound very rhetorical but what is your firm?

Army Judge is a retired attorney and I am retired from 35 years in the insurance industry. We may not be employed by a "firm" but we do know what we are talking about.

You might get the insurance citation dropped when you provide the court with evidence that the car was insured on the day you got pulled over but, even if you get and keep your license, your driving without a license conviction will eventually end up in the hands of your parents' insurance company and your family will end up in the high risk insurance category. That's where all my big dollar signs come from. Your parents won't be happy when the big insurance bills start coming in but I guess that fitting punishment for your mother's foolishness in letting you drive.

I'm surprised she didn't get a citation. It's against the law to allow an unlicensed driver to drive your car.

Army Judge is a retired attorney and I am retired from 35 years in the insurance industry. We may not be employed by a "firm" but we do know what we are talking about.

You might get the insurance citation dropped when you provide the court with evidence that the car was insured on the day you got pulled over but, even if you get and keep your license, your driving without a license conviction will eventually end up in the hands of your parents' insurance company and your family will end up in the high risk insurance category. That's where all my big dollar signs come from. Your parents won't be happy when the big insurance bills start coming in but I guess that fitting punishment for your mother's foolishness in letting you drive.

I'm surprised she didn't get a citation. It's against the law to allow an unlicensed driver to drive your car.
So i'm assuming you have heard the supreme court case of Thompson v. Smith...

I'm curious are you some kind of lawyer, it may sound very rhetorical but what is your firm?

I don't advertise on this site, nor does the firm solicit business ever.
We turn business away.
I am the founding partner of my firm.

Yes, we are still in business.
I still try a couple cases each year, if I feel like it.

My nephew is the firm's managing partner.

We don't do traffic court (in Texas JP or Muni Court) cases.

Son, you've got a great deal to learn.
Good luck citing appellate court case precedent in traffic court, especially in CA where referees preside over tariff, I mean traffic court.

How could I have heard of it?

You haven't cited it properly.

There are numerous Thompson v Smith cases in a variety of "Supreme Courts" in numerous states.

Provide a proper citation and explain why you think it has anything to do with you.

It will probably be a waste of time but it's going to be 120 degrees here in Phoenix today so I'm not going anywhere and will be at your disposal all day.

Back