Minor committing theft

Status
Not open for further replies.

legalquestions

Have a minor (age14), who was issued a ticket for trying to steal a $2 pair of earrings with a friend. Never been in trouble before at school or otherwise. Officer stated friend took the item and put in my childs pocket and they tried walking out of the store. Stupid move on my childs part, but think more peer pressure than anything.

Where do I go from here? Do I pursue defered Adjudication, which I hear leaves the paperwork behind after a probation period would be over. Do I hire criminal attorney to try to get it wiped completely? They have a community service program that I want my child to have to go through to learn a lesson, also heard of "teen court", but don't want to ruin her ability to get a job until she's 18 because of a stupid mistake. This is being treated as a serious offense at home and punishments are in addition to anything the court assigns.

Want her to be able to answer truthfully on job applications concerning this.

My assumption is that this minors record would be expunged no matter what the results, when she becomes an adult.

You could call a criminal defense attorney, one who specializes in juvenile law (make sure they specialize, ask what % of their cases are juvenile law). One of them should be able to offer you somewhat free advice on what to do next. This varies, of course, by region. You could be in a small community with few to no practioners that fit this mold, or you could be in a city with many.

Good Luck. IMO $2 earings and first offense they should have just alerted you and given your child a warning. Could you imagine a trial over $2 earings? Some may argue it's nipping possible crime career in the bud, but .. . .really.

I am really surprised Da is even taking a case for $2.00 theft. Ok regardless she needs a Lawyer. Ask this Attorney about legal options like Diversion. My Husband has contacts with a group that has an Anti Shoplifting program. If she enroll before court Judge will smile upon her efforts and Diversion and/or lighter sentence may be more likely. Contact me at email below and I will give you the info to talk to someone about enrolling her

pilars_plaything@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back