Minor added to lease

Jay D

Jurisdiction
Nebraska
I'm 17 and would like to move out into a new apartment with my boyfriend who is 20. My parents both consent and would be willing to cosign if necessary, is it legal for me to move out without being emancipated, or would it be legal for me to stay without being added to the lease because I'm a minor. We mentioned it in passing to the landlord and they said they'd be willing to let me live here as long as I had my parents sign paper work, is it legal for them to do that?

All of what you propose is legal. By giving consent and co-signing the lease for you, they are still taking responsibility for you as parents do.

The landlord is wise to have your parents co-sign. It makes them responsible for your performance under the contract. That's necessary because a minor does not have the legal capacity to contract, could disavow the contract, and leave the landlord with expensive consequences.

is it legal for me to move out without being emancipated

Yes.

would it be legal for me to stay without being added to the lease because I'm a minor.

There is no law relevant to this question, but no one here knows what your boyfriend's lease says, so we can't know whether he'd be breaching the lease.

We mentioned it in passing to the landlord and they said they'd be willing to let me live here as long as I had my parents sign paper work, is it legal for them to do that?

Yes.

Back