Weapons, Guns, Firearms michigan open carry non cpl transportation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Show

Is it legal for a person without a concealed pistol licences to transport a firearm in the trunk of their vechicle to a location that said firearm will be openly carried for the intent to protect ones self. Also the location would not be a financial institution, church, court, school, hospital, theater, sports arena, restaurant with a liquor or alcohol license or day care center. Thanks.

Thanks for your responce.

The law changed in March of 2002 from the old "to and from" rules. You may now transport a pistol for any lawful purpose as long as it is stored correctly. The new law defines "lawful purpose" to include the old "to and from" rules but those are only examples of lawful purposes and do not exclude other lawful purposes.

So the question would be is self protection a lawful purpose in Michigan?

I canot find an answear for that anywhere.

The law changed in March of 2002 from the old "to and from" rules. You may now transport a pistol for any lawful purpose as long as it is stored correctly. The new law defines "lawful purpose" to include the old "to and from" rules but those are only examples of lawful purposes and do not exclude other lawful purposes.

So the question would be is self protection a lawful purpose in Michigan?

I canot find an answear for that anywhere.

I doubt that "self protection" would ever be considered a "lawful" purpose.

I wouldn't want to be a test case, either.

Michigan has never been a friendly "right to carry" state.

Michigan was drug into the foray after other states had made obtaining "carry permits" easier.

The general rule is that the weapon must be apart from the ammunition.

The safer rule is that the weapon and ammunition be secured in a locked box in the trunk, or away from easy reach for the driver/owner.

That isn't necessarily documented, rather it has become a "pattern and practice" among prosecutors.

How do I know, well, I grew up in Michigan.

My dad owned many firearms.

He was a collector and competition shooter.

Dad also hunted.

He even taught gun safety classes.

I later graduated from UMICH and went to law school in another state.

I grew up with friends who are now (or were) judges, prosecutors, and elected county sheriffs.

I also have a number of friends and relatives who are in law enforcement, a couple being chiefs of police.

Without a lawfully issued "carry permit", I wouldn't try and use the excuse of "self protection" as a rationale to skirt the Michigan "carry permit" laws.

Just saying!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back