Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication Michigan Minor in Possession

Status
Not open for further replies.

spydave00

I go to western michigan university I was just charged with a minor in possession about an hour ago. On my ticket I have a court date already set up. The alcohol was in my dorm room fridge at the time. I had nothing to drink that night and blew 000 on the breath test. The police officer intimidated me and I said that the 2 40's in the fridge were mine. I know I broke the law and the 40's are mine but I want to know if it is better to plead guilty or not guilty in court? I do not want to get a misdemeanor charge on my record. After pleading how do I go about asking for a plea bargain. Do I need an attorney. Thanks
Dave

An attorney may be of assistance although in a open and shut case that assistance may diminish. Did they have a right to search your room? If so, it's difficult to deny possession. You may do best by meeting with the prosecutor before the case and making a plea bargain. You may even be able to negotiate a deal whereby you get probation and your case would be dismissed upon successful completion of the probationary period. I'm not sure if this is done in Michigan.

minor in possession reply

Thanks for your help. But I have one more thing to say. I have an arraingment on March 6th would I meet with the prosecutor before that or plead not guilty and then talk to the prosecutor. Or should I take the YODA program in Michigan where if I plead guilty I get 150 fine, 10 hours community service, and am on probation for 6 months then it is off my record? The thing I need help deciding here is whether to plead guilty or not guilty at the arraingment. I talked to a lawyer and he said to plead not guilty but to hire him it is going to cost me 1000 bucks. Thanks,
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back