Michigan Boat Rental Damage Liability, Me or Owner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EviLz

I recently rented a condo and the owner had a pontoon boat for rent. I signed a contract to rent the condo which had nothing to do with the boat, and later decided I'd like to rent the boat during my stay. There was no separate contract written up for the boat rental, nothing was signed, nor was there any talk about damage liability or insurance.

After using the condo & boat, we left thinking that everything was in tip top shape and nothing went wrong. Today, I received a phone call stating that there was a hole in the pontoon along with two dents. Now I do know we did run into the boat lift once when pulling it in for the last time due to water turbulence, so it is likely that we could have caused damage and I'm not contesting that until I see the pictures. But I do have the following questions...

1.) The owner is stating that she is keeping our condo security deposit of $400, even though that contract had nothing to do with the boat rental. Is this legal?

2.) There was no contract, written or verbal, regarding the boat rental and damage liability... nor was there any mention of insurance requirements (I assumed everything was insured by them). Am I fully responsible to cover the damage myself, or is there an assumption in the law in which the owner [or renter] must insure the boat themselves and any renters?

2.a) If the law does require the owner to have insurance, MUST the owner use that insurance if the renter did not have said insurance even though they were not on notice of the requirment? (i.e. can they just say "No, we're not using our insurance")

The presumption that I'm responsible for any and all damage while renting the boat seems logical to me ONLY IF I had been presented with an insurance waiver and accepted damage liability. Since I was not presented with anything except the amount to pay, I assumed the rest was covered under their renters insurance.

**** What are the presumptions in the law for damage liability when there's no contract?

Retaining your deposit probably isn't legal. But, what do you propose to do about it?

You admit to renting the boat. To get more money, she'll have to sue you. Unless you relent to her demands.

The law has little to do with anything, unless you sue each other and fight it out in the courtroom.

Then she'll have to prove you damaged her boat.

The court will only issue an order saying you owe her, or she owes you.

Then you'll have to collect the judgment, or she'll have to collect hers on you.

If I were you, I'd try to work out a settlement. If you do, put it in writing.

Army Judge: I was hoping you'd be the one to reply. I posted on this forum for you specifically. :p

The main thing to keep in mind is, I will pay if I am legally bound...

The main (and only) question I have is, does the law presume the owner's insurance will cover damage in the event the renter was not given notice that there was no coverage and no liability was waived?

I've been sifting through the law, and I'm pretty sure I could fight this one myself in court (if necessary / their resolution is outrageous). But still haven't found the hard line in the law that states, "owner" vs "renter" is liable when no contract is signed or verbally agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back