Miami Building Collapses

I'm awaiting more information on a very sad event.

We allegedly live in a 1st world nation.

If that claim is true, how in heck did this tragedy occur?

so very sad..... there was a link on another board to an indoor camera system capturing it from inside one of the residences (resident was not home but has a camera/security system)

We allegedly live in a 1st world nation.

If that claim is true, how in heck did this tragedy occur?

Being in a "first world nation" doesn't guarantee that tragedies like building fires, collapses, etc do not happen on occasion. After all, no human or nation of humans is perfect. This is not the first such thing to happen in a first world nation, and almost certainly won't be the last. But living in an advanced nation does mean that we tend to suffer such events less frequently than less developed nations do.

I don't know we need to worry too much about strengthening that. After all, these are not meant to be luxury flats.

Absolutely. If we make sure the tenants are of light build and relatively sedentary and if the weather's on our side, I think we have a winner here.

This building has been standing for 40 years. In fact, it was on the list for 40-year recertification.

I will not be surprised if they don't find the problem to have been some sort of sinkhole they are all over the place in FL.

P.S. Though opportunist that they are I hear an ABC news story last night that wanted to blame Climate Change and/or the fact that the Biden infrastructure bill quickly enough.

That it hadn't fallen down, yet is hardly an indication of health. The owners and authorities knew this building had serious issues and it's not unique with the buildings of the same vintage in the area.

This has been a tough week. Several of the names were personally familiar to me. I met young one woman briefly who is friends with several of my friends here. Two others were potential relatives of another friend who had been in contact with them and discussing family trees since their surname is not popular. It brings back remnants of memories on a very small scale of 9/11, when there was a flurry of email between friends trying to get in touch with missing people. I hope that as many as possible where not at home at the time and on residing or vacationing elsewhere.

As to why... these things happen and will continue to happen even though we try to minimize their occurence. It could be a sinkhole which Florida has been known to have. And as others mention, there were some indications that this building had real problems that were not believed to be as serious as they were. In time I'm sure we'll learn more after investigation. In the meanwhile, just a terrible human tragedy.

Back