[MI] Claimed two weeks too many of unemployment. Got Misrepresentation Letter

BarnabyJones

Jurisdiction
Michigan
Long Story short I claimed two weeks too many of unemployment benefits back in late February after I got my new job. I don't know why I did it, I assume I was just on auto pilot filling out the info like I had been for two months. Im not trying to commit fraud over 724 dollars. I got several letters for fact finding in the UIA portal regarding wage cross matching and misrepresentation. One for my new employer and one for my old employer. My old employer laid me off on January 6th and paid me for the last week of 2016 and the first week of 2017. I didnt begin collecting benefits until January 14th-20th. The income they claim I have for my old employer is incorrect any way I slice it. They say I had $2268.31 worth of income from them in the first quarter of 2017. The two checks I received only total $1,677 and I did not claim benefits for those weeks so I don't know where they're getting that number. If anything my reported income for them should only be for one check.

The income for my new employer lines up with their wage cross matching where I claimed two extra weeks of unemployment before receiving my first check for the last two weeks of Feb. Again, I admit to doing it, but I wasn't trying to commit fraud. Basically, I just want to pay them back the money I owe but im afraid to call them up and say "I made a mistake and claimed two weeks too many. I would like to pay it back as soon as possible and settle the matter." because any way you look at it im admitting to fraud by ignorance which is still fraud.

So basically im just trying to figure out if I should fill out the forms and on the misrepresentation form select "I had not received payment when I applied for benefits" (which is true), call the number that came with the letter and find out what I can/should do, write a letter of response with a check in it, pay back the overpayment via their overpayment portal or hire a lawyer I can't really afford to help me.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You were overpaid. Owning up to it and working out a payment plan is a much better option than committing further fraud based on your accidental fraud.

You were overpaid. Owning up to it and working out a payment plan is a much better option than committing further fraud based on your accidental fraud.

I mean I can pay it all right now if that means this goes away. I just don't know how to do it and don't want some kind of unemployment fraud black mark on me forever =/

Back