Mexican timeshare

Staci25

Jurisdiction
Virginia
My husband bought a timeshare in Mexico as a gift/surprise for us to use when we want a couples getaway without the kiddos. Sweet enough but I knew this probably wasn't a good idea. He and his friend both bought one when they went on this missionary retreat. Now we have to pay a deposit of $3000, he already paid $1000. They don't have any of his credit/debit card info or social security number or anything like that. I don't want it, I don't want to fork over that much money and $245 monthly after the deposit is paid and a yearly maintenance fee of $400. So my question is, since this is a purchase made in Mexico and hasn't actually been completed yet since we haven't paid the deposit, can we walk away? He said they gave him 5 days to cancel but of course this has already passed since he was there for over a week. After all the champagne they gave them I see why he thought it was a good idea lol but I simply want to know do I have to continue to pay this deposit and then after that's done make monthly payments? I know I "don't have to" but I mean legally here in the USA am I obligated to and will it affect his credit? Any info is most appreciated

do I have to continue to pay this deposit and then after that's done make monthly payments?

You don't have to do anything.

Is your husband required to pay? Perhaps, but before you can know with any certainty, I suggest you read the contract and/or other purchase agreements.

The parties to the contract could have agreed to be bound by the laws of one of the staes within the USA.

legally here in the USA am I obligated to and will it affect his credit?

Again, read all of the documents he signed.

Don't assume because the contract was physically agreed to in Mexico that its governed by Mexican law.

I simply want to know do I have to continue to pay this deposit and then after that's done make monthly payments? I know I "don't have to" but I mean legally here in the USA am I obligated to and will it affect his credit?

Sorry, but he bought himself a time share. He signed a contract and paid $1000. He blew past the 5 day cancellation period. If you think a Mexican company can't sue somebody in the US for breach of contract you are sadly mistaken. A lawsuit like that will certainly end up on his credit report.

Hey, if you two want to default and take your chances, you are welcome to do so and hope nothing comes of it other than kissing the $1000 goodbye.

Back