Mercedes engine locked up

Lynnecathey

Jurisdiction
Texas
I need assistance quickly.

I own a 2013 Mercedes C250. I took it to the dealership to have it checked out because it was driving strange (going into limp mode) and when I started it, it would take longer to start then make a clattering noise for about 3 seconds.

When I took it in, they gave me a loaner, and called me later that day to tell me my engine was locked up, there was sludge in my engine and it was 15k to replace engine.

They told md it was one of two possible problems. 1) I wasn't getting oil changes or
2) a defect in the engine
And to move forward and get warrant to take care of this I needed to provide all my oil change receipts.

I immediately turned those in and assumed they would get to replacing the engine because I clearly did my part.

We had the storm come through Houston and after that the dealership called and said the warranty department denied my claim. That I needed to either pay 15k for a new motor, or come pick up my car.

I was livid! I told them I need to speak to a supervisor and they told me I could contact Mercedes corporate and dispute and file a claim. I immediately did so and was never able to speak to anyone regarding my case. Then after a week, the dealership called me and told me my claim was denied.

I'm in the process of looking for an attorney but it's taking a while to have attorneys review my case and to get advice that I need as soon as possible.

I've got my car back, which according to the dealership could last 2 days or 2 weeks. I owe 15k on my loan for the car (same amount as the engine would cost) and I'm about to purchase a new car because I have to have reliable transportation.

I cannot afford to make 2 car payments. One for new car I get, plus the payment for the Mercedes that isn't safe to drive.

So in the mean time, I'm not sure what to do.

Should I contact where I get my oil changed? The last 2 times it was the same place. Could Mercedes be correct and this isn't their problem? Please help. Thank you so much!!

Did they say why you were denied? Were they unsatisfied with the receipts you provided? Did they even receive what you submitted? Did you follow through with the appeal of the denial?

If you are still within warranty and can prove regular maintenance then I would expect them to honor the claim... but I would also expect I might have to jump through some hoops to get it.

If it hasn't been made clear to you find out exactly why they are denying the claim. Odds are they have not inspected the engine closely enough to rule out an internal problem.

Did they say why you were denied? Were they unsatisfied with the receipts you provided? Did they even receive what you submitted? Did you follow through with the appeal of the denial?

If you are still within warranty and can prove regular maintenance then I would expect them to honor the claim... but I would also expect I might have to jump through some hoops to get it.

If it hasn't been made clear to you find out exactly why they are denying the claim. Odds are they have not inspected the engine closely enough to rule out an internal problem.
Thank you so much for your reply. Mercedes never made it clear as to why. They mentioned to check with oil company I use, but was very matter of fact. "We are sorry, there's nothing we can do, come get your car".

The part that is frustrating to me is that they originally asked for my receipts to validate I had been getting oil changes. Which it somewhat came across as once I did that, they would take car of it.

I did follow through with the appeal which o finally got a call from the claims department at Mercedes and he told me the same thing. We are very sorry, let us know if you want us to replace your engine, it's $15,000.

I'm shocked as to what could cause sludge in my engine with regular scheduled oil changes. Synthetic oil every time.

I cannot afford to make 2 car payments. One for new car I get, plus the payment for the Mercedes that isn't safe to drive.

Well, the one thing you shouldn't do is take out another loan for a car. If you can afford a Mercedes you can probably afford a few thousand cash for a driver that you can use until you get the Mercedes thing resolve.

To that end I suggest a Crown Victoria ex police car. They are cheap and virtually indestructible.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MjgxWDUwMA==/z/RiwAAOxyVaBS-pZz/$_3.JPG?set_id=2

I'm shocked as to what could cause sludge in my engine with regular scheduled oil changes. Synthetic oil every time.

Take the car to another dealer and get a second opinion.

Alternatively, take it to another car repair facility and pay for an assessment.

I'd forget a lawsuit.

Lawsuits take money to pursue, and would take at least 18 months in Houston before the matter came to trial.

Mercedes-Benz Approved Oils Sheet 229.1:
Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic Formula 15w-50.
Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic Formula 0w-40.
Valvoline Synpower Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5w-40.
Castrol Syntec 5w-50.
Castrol Syntec 10W-40.
Quaker State Full Synthetic European Formula 5w-40.
Pennzoil Synthetic European 5w-40.
76 Pure Synthetic Motor Oil 5w-40.

Take the car to another dealer and get a second opinion.

Alternatively, take it to another car repair facility and pay for an assessment.

I'd forget a lawsuit.

Lawsuits take money to pursue, and would take at least 18 months in Houston before the matter came to trial.

Mercedes-Benz Approved Oils Sheet 229.1:
Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic Formula 15w-50.
Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic Formula 0w-40.
Valvoline Synpower Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5w-40.
Castrol Syntec 5w-50.
Castrol Syntec 10W-40.
Quaker State Full Synthetic European Formula 5w-40.
Pennzoil Synthetic European 5w-40.
76 Pure Synthetic Motor Oil 5w-40.
Thank you for your advice!! I really appreciate it!:)

You need a clearer answer, preferably in writing, explaining why your warranty claim is being denied.
The vehicle is 4 years old. Is the warranty still valid?

I agree with you. I have requested, from Mercedes, the warranty information.

Here's what I have been told.
Originally, I was told there was only 2 possibilities.

Either I wasn't having routine oil changes. Or there was a defect in the engine. That if I could prove I was having oil changes, they would conclude it was an engine defect. When I provided the dealership with my receipts and talked to the places where oil changes were preformed (which they said they would personally back me up) the dealership submitted to Mercedes USA Corporate, and denied coverage.

The dealership wasn't very clear as to what they actually did, whether it be test samples taken from the engine etc) and told me my only options were to pay 15k for a new engine, or come pick up my mechanically totaled car. And for me to possibly take this up with my local oil change company I take my car to.

The shop manager at Mercedes said in a round about way that if Mercedes investigated further, and found improper oil was used that the cost to me would be thousands of dollars for this investigation and it was better for me to take it up with my local oil change company.

I have an attorney who's reviewing this to see if they will take this case. I realize that it's a timely matter at won't be resolved for possibly years. IF it's Mercedes that's at fault and there is a defect with their engine. I have seen many cases online of other Mercedes having a similar issue.

I have many other friends and family who also take their cars to this local oil change facility and this hasn't happened to them. I guess they could have done something wrong..but I just don't know.

In the mean time, I have a vehicle that isn't safe to drive, still have a loan out on it. I do need reliable transportation and at the end of the day, as a educated consumer, I've done what's required for me to do. Someone is at fault.

That's why I'm in a delima right now because it's costing me out of pocket money to purchase a new car. It's costing me time to deal with this also.

I'm very thankful to this forum to be able to get advice and to vent. I only want to resolve this with the party at fault to reconcile this matter and I believe that eventually that will happen.

:)

@Lynnecathey

I don't use that synthetic oil.
It deludes people into not changing oil for a year.
Tat might work for me, as I don't put more than 5,000 miles on any of my vehicles in a year!

I do change my oil ever 3-4 months, and use only REAL oil.

I never bought into, or was suckered into that fake oil nonsense.

Bad enough they foist fake petrol or diesel on everyone, with ethanol or bio-desiel.

Two NEW things:

ONE

MB has had this problem, engines seizing, for quite some time.
It seems to affect vehicles of YOUR year, 2010-2014.

A few examples:

http://www.mercedescla.org/forum/64...warranty-20-000-plus-tax-new-one-what-do.html

2011 ML350 Diesel Engine Seized - NEED HELP! - MBWorld.org Forums

Q: Car was low on oil and the engine locked up while driving. | YourMechanic Answers

Another 2010 ML350 Bluetec engine seized - MBWorld.org Forums

Mercedes GL350 Bluetec Blown Engine

2010 Mercedes-Benz ML350 Bluetec 4Matic 3.0L Engine seized

Mercedes-Benz ML350 BLUETEC 4MATIC Repair: Service and Maintenance Cost

-------------------------------------------------------------------

TWO

I suggest you see what it will cost to RENT a car from the dealer versus renting one from one of the national car rental agencies for a week or a month.

Temporarily that is your best option, as you'll require transportation while this churns about.

I suspect you'll have answers within a month, positive or negative.

One last point as you negotiate.

Ask the first dealer, as well as others, what (if anything) Mercedes will do for you, IF you leased a new Benz?

I lease all my vehicles.

If I do need to travel more than 200 miles (one way), I rent a car for that occasion.

There are several ways out of this hole they're trying to get you into.

You just have to keep thinking, while avoid reacting.

I owned one Benz in my life, and that was because my wife wanted one.

She hated it after about 3 months.

You might wish to look at other choices while you're working through this, as you've discovered, MB seems to have abandoned you and is helping to shovel dirt on you in the hole.

However, it might be the dealer.

Car sales are off right now, especially luxury cars.

I have a friend who owns three different new car dealerships, and he's been whining about it at every weekly Rotary Club for the last 90 days.

It could be your dealer is gas lighting you, which is why I suggested another dealer and independent garage evaluation.

@Lynnecathey

I suggest you see what it will cost to RENT a car from the dealer versus renting one from one of the national car rental agencies for a week or a month.

Temporarily that is your best option, as you'll require transportation while this churns about.

I suspect you'll have answers within a month, positive or negative.

One last point as you negotiate.

Ask the first dealer, as well as others, what (if anything) Mercedes will do for you, IF you leased a new Benz?

I lease all my vehicles.

If I do need to travel more than 200 miles (one way), I rent a car for that occasion.

There are several ways out of this hole they're trying to get you into.

You just have to keep thinking, while avoid reacting.

I owned one Benz in my life, and that was because my wife wanted one.

She hated it after about 3 months.

You might wish to look at other choices while you're working through this, as you've discovered, MB seems to have abandoned you and is helping to shovel dirt on you in the hole.

However, it might be the dealer.

Car sales are off right now, especially luxury cars.

I have a friend who owns three different new car dealerships, and he's been whining about it at every weekly Rotary Club for the last 90 days.

It could be your dealer is gas lighting you, which is why I suggested another dealer and independent garage evaluation.
Thank you! This has been very helpful and enlightening to read. I will check out these options you have given me and really do appreciate your input. :) Im going to share my experiences as I go through this in hopes to help others who may face something similar to this.

Thank you! This has been very helpful and enlightening to read. I will check out these options you have given me and really do appreciate your input. :) Im going to share my experiences as I go through this in hopes to help others who may face something similar to this.

Re-read, just updated it with new information.

Seems MB might have a big problem they're hiding.

I have requested, from Mercedes, the warranty information.

No need to wait. Here it is. It's the same booklet that should have been with your car:

http://assets.mbusa.com/vcm/CAC_RAPMD/13serviceandwarrantybooklet.pdf

The Basic Warranty is 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first, from the date you took delivery if you bought it new or the date the first owner took delivery if you bought it used.

Now go to the following website, put in your VIN and click on Continue.

Check Any VIN Free | Free VIN Check | Free VIN Decoder

You'll get a history report specific to your car. It should show you the date the car was first placed in service if you don't already know it.

At the end of the report is where you'll find Technical Service Bulletins and Recall information. See if there is anything in there about engine problems. If there is, it might give you some leverage with MB.

Seems a lot of people had or have trouble with that car:

2013 mercedes c250 engine problems at DuckDuckGo

I need assistance quickly.

I own a 2013 Mercedes C250. I took it to the dealership to have it checked out because it was driving strange (going into limp mode) and when I started it, it would take longer to start then make a clattering noise for about 3 seconds.

When I took it in, they gave me a loaner, and called me later that day to tell me my engine was locked up, there was sludge in my engine and it was 15k to replace engine.

They told md it was one of two possible problems. 1) I wasn't getting oil changes or
2) a defect in the engine
And to move forward and get warrant to take care of this I needed to provide all my oil change receipts.

I immediately turned those in and assumed they would get to replacing the engine because I clearly did my part.

We had the storm come through Houston and after that the dealership called and said the warranty department denied my claim. That I needed to either pay 15k for a new motor, or come pick up my car.

I was livid! I told them I need to speak to a supervisor and they told me I could contact Mercedes corporate and dispute and file a claim. I immediately did so and was never able to speak to anyone regarding my case. Then after a week, the dealership called me and told me my claim was denied.

I'm in the process of looking for an attorney but it's taking a while to have attorneys review my case and to get advice that I need as soon as possible.

I've got my car back, which according to the dealership could last 2 days or 2 weeks. I owe 15k on my loan for the car (same amount as the engine would cost) and I'm about to purchase a new car because I have to have reliable transportation.

Should I contact where I get my oil changed? The last 2 times it was the same place. Could Mercedes be correct and this isn't their problem? Please help. Thank you so much!!

I have a 2014 Sprinter and it locked up at 40,000 miles and I went through the exact thing, same exact response from dealer now three years later my sprinter is still a yard ornament with a blown engine. I was still under warranty less than 50,000 miles and less than 5 years old, I also looked for legal help and after 4 k in legal bill I was told it was hopeless.

I have a 2014 Sprinter and it locked up at 40,000 miles and I went through the exact thing, same exact response from dealer now three years later my sprinter is still a yard ornament with a blown engine. I was still under warranty less than 50,000 miles and less than 5 years old, I also looked for legal help and after 4 k in legal bill I was told it was hopeless.
This thread is 3-1/2 years old. Please don't post to long-dead threads.

The post you are responding to is over 3 years old. Please don't necropost.

To be correct it locked up at 49,0000 miles in in October of 2017 so it has been sitting since 2017. It was just three years old and under the miles of warranty.

Back