Mental Health Thread #7 -- Summer's Coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope but we have a crap ton of changes for OE meaning very nearly every employee is going to have to make new elections. The online enrollment system isn't ready yet (we are a bit slow here) and the phone system will be inoperable as well due to the impending online system so it is gonna be OE, 1980's paper style. Add to the fact that we will have a brand new employee coming on board the week before it starts (most likely) and no one in my department has been here a full year even so none of us have ever done OE here before. Fun times.

I read BettyC's post/question & my mind first registered Betty3 (not BettyC) & I thought what! - I didn't ask that question. :)

My dilemma:

I'm planning to begin a phased retirement the end of the month. Haven't used any vacation time this year knowing that I will be able to cash it in when I leave. Currently have close to 5 weeks banked. Employer now offers me the opportunity to continue working through the end of the year on a P/T basis which is what I was hoping for, but didn't think would happen. The problem arises when I realize that if I stay, I will lose 3 weeks of my vacation on 10/1. (We can only carry over 2 weeks from one fiscal year to another, which starts 10/1) If I resign and come back as a contractor I will get to collect the vacation but lose about two weeks of holiday pay between now and the end of the year. That would be less of a loss, but I would likely get fewer hours as a contractor than as a P/T employee. decisions decisions

Ida01 - I thought you were in CA??? CA doesn't allow use it or lose it policies.

Ida01 - I thought you were in CA??? CA doesn't allow use it or lose it policies.

Nope, TX. we pay all vacation on separation as a matter of policy, regardless of reason for the termination. But we limit employees to carrying over no more than 2 weeks from one fiscal year to the next.

Good grief. I've known you HOW many years? And all this time I had you in the wrong state.

It's hard to know what to do sometimes isn't it, Ida - the best of luck to you.

Good grief. I've known you HOW many years? And all this time I had you in the wrong state.

Have never lived in the "Shake n Bake State" but did have close to a hundred stores there with a former employer. Enough to keep several HR people busy full time.

I have a bad sector on my hard drive (the one between my ears) I haven't dealt with EEO-1 reports with this employer before and can't remember the rule definitions. Does the 100-employee rule mean 100 at any time during the year, a 26 week average, or monthly average? We break 100 for 8 weeks during the summer with seasonal staff, but below it the rest of the year.
THX
LDA

Ida - does this help you any? The question was in a HR pamphlet re the EEO-1 with an answer given by SHRM.
While the EEOC has not defined how the 50 or 100 employees are to be counted, if an employer has met that threshold at some point during the year, and especially during the third quarter, it would be wise to either file or seek legal guidance to determine compliance.

That's how I've always understood it; that if you hit the 100-employee threshold at any point during the year, you're supposed to file.

THX Betty, that's what I was afraid of. Previously our HQ in NYC did all the EEO-1s but staff reductions there have bounced the function back to us. Has been 7-8 years since I did one.
Thanks for the help
LDA

You're welcome, lda01. :) .....................

Last edited:
Back from my vacation and finally getting my head above water. Man, did I need that break.

GStone, thanks for the tip on Smithsville, NJ. We spent one afternoon there, really enjoyed it.

Ida - does this help you any? The question was in a HR pamphlet re the EEO-1 with an answer given by SHRM.
While the EEOC has not defined how the 50 or 100 employees are to be counted, if an employer has met that threshold at some point during the year, and especially during the third quarter, it would be wise to either file or seek legal guidance to determine compliance.

Why don't any of those Presidential candidates propose eliminating the Department of Labor along with Commerce, Education, Energy and Interior when they're campaigning? That would be my dream come true.

Why don't any of those Presidential candidates propose eliminating the Department of Labor along with Commerce, Education, Energy and Interior when they're campaigning? That would be my dream come true.

You're dreaming. :) .........................

Dealing with the OFCCP has just about turned me into a libertarian. I can't think of a government entity that deserves to disappear more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back