Medical Invoice received over 3 years post surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

dedjdh827

I received a medical bill in March, 2013 from a surgery I had in December, 2009. I never received any correspondence from the Dr's office or billing company until March 2013. I no longer work for the company that provided the insurance or have the same insurance company. In addition, when I had this surgery, I contributed to a HSA, which I paid tax on the balance since it was not used to pay medical bills. Do I still have to pay this? I am not sure that I actually owe this amount and have never been notified. In addition they are threatening to negatively impact my credit report, which I have excellent credit.

The SOL on medical debt is 6 years in New York. Someone has to pay for the surgery. They deserve to be paid. No, you do not have to pay but if you don't they "might" sue you in court & if they win, get a judgment against you. I don't know how much the debt is.

They did get paid for the surgery. This is a balance less than $1000. I have dealt with many doctors for past surgeries and never received an initial bill 3 years later. I almost feel like its taking advantage because most people are not aware of the SOL and the burden of proof is almost always on the patient. In addition, I paid $1500 up front to cover my deductible and they are saying that this bill is for unpaid deductible.

They need to get paid for all bills connected with the surgery. If you don't pay & they sue you, you would use that you already paid the deductible as your defense in court. You will need proof that you paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back