Medical Insurance

Kammi Stone

Jurisdiction
Georgia
Hello,

I have a question that I can not find anything online about. On our papers it says I am to provide insurance for my two children, and I have exactly that. I'm paying 354 dollars a week for the children for Private Insurance. Also in the papers it has a section for uninsured medical cost that I am required to pay half on. My ex wife is not allowing me to see my children at all because I can't afford to give her anymore money. The big question is
she is claiming I am responsible for paying half of all the co pays because she is saying that is part of the uninsured medical cost. Am I responsible for also paying half of the children's copays even though I have insurance on them?
If that makes any sense.

The one section says I am responsible for insurance which I have

then there is another section labeled
Uninsured medical
Says each parent is responsible for half of uninsured medical.
The question is am I responsible for co pays etc

That depends on the EXACT wording of the section of the order which states you are responsible for half of uninsured medical. Obviously you are interpreting it as bills which the insurance does not pay at all. Mom is interpreting it as bills which the insurance does not pay in full. But what matters is how the COURT interprets it.

Am I responsible for also paying half of the children's copays even though I have insurance on them?

Please quote the exact language from your divorce decree or custody order (don't summarize it; quote it).

My ex wife is not allowing me to see my children at all because I can't afford to give her anymore money.

I suggest you consider seeking to have her held in contempt of court for this (of course, she'll probably then seek to have you held in contempt for not paying what is required, but it's illegal to withhold visitation because of non-payment of support or other expenses).

The way I understood unreimbursed medical is that which insurance doesn't cover - like copays. Luckily my insurance covers most everything for my daughter since her dad doesn't pay anything he's supposed to.

My decree says simply unreimbursed medical. I took that to mean whatever insurance doesn't cover. If you have any different wording post it. Otherwise you owe half of copays.

You could find a lawyer in your area who does free consultations...also. Or ask the lawyer who did your divorce (if you had one).

Back