Medical Collection - Should I pay?

Davin Prince

Jurisdiction
Arkansas
So I had a procedure done on my foot in 2017. Got a refund for overpaying in 2019. I wanted to cash, but my wife told me to call and confirm, so I did. They told me it was not an error don't worry and cash it.

Fast forward to this month, I started to get debt collection calls from Texas, dunno if they are spoofing the number as my cell number is from that area in Texas. I call them back I push back get the info from what they are saying I owe and get the Hospital and reference number. I call the hospital and they said they made the refund in error, $830. Since the debt was over 2 years old, they automatically sent to collections.

I am furious since they made no attempt to contact me that I am aware of. I did move, but my phone number did not change. Friends advised me to challenge paying it since I did my duty and made them verify the refund and the hospital confirmed that this refund was not made in error. They even have this phone call on record. I put in a formal complaint and am waiting for a manager to call me back. Doesn't help I'm about to have to spend 10 grand to completely replace the HVAC system in my house which is completely jacked. Not a good time to add more debt to my finances.

I'm not for trying to cheat people out of money, but I paid my bill on time and did my due diligence of trying not to take money I wasn't owed and I am now being punished for it. Just doesn't seem right.

Yes, you still owe the money. With that said, you are in a good position to demand that the hospital remove this item from collections and ensure that there are no negative marks on your credit based on your (now) timely payment.

You do not have to pay the bill until a court orders you to do so.
You apparently paid the bill on time, in full.
The hospital now claims to have made an error in providing a refund.
This is not the same as an unpaid debt.
Dispute any negative action on a credit report by providing evidence you paid the bill in full.
This matter should be resolved between you and the hospital or in civil court. Automatically putting it in collections as unpaid is not appropriate.

Seek legal counsel if you like. You may even get a stick consult for free.

Until the matter is heard in court and you are ordered to pay you owe nothing. Unlike most situations, you are likely able to prove you paid in full on time. The hospital will have to explain why you are responsible years later for their error.

Back