Medical Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmuniz1114

I received a check in the mail made out to me for seven thousand from the insurance company. It said it is not a bill or anything. I already cashed it and paid all my bills. Who wouldn't, I'm a single mother who is struggling to make ends meet. A few days ago, I received a bill from the hospital stating they contacted my insurance company and they said they sent me the money and they want me to give the check back to the hospital. Did they make an error in sending me the payment. Do I have to pay the hospital? Is there something I can do about this? I have a feeling the hospital made a mistake in telling my insurance company to pay me instead of paying them. And now that they mad that mistake, they are making me pay for it. What should I do?

I received the check about a month and a half ago. I didn't pay any bills. The bill the hospital sent me was for the anesthia when i gave birth to my son. They said they contacted my insurance company and my insurance company said they gave me the check.

Why would your insurance company just send you a check? Since you cashed it, you are either going to have to pay it back, or pay the hospital bills since it sounds like it was technically the hospitals money. You will owe them, and dont expect they are going to write this off because of the insurance companies error.

If you already spent it then time to make payment arrangements with the hospital to pay what you owe.

I realize you are single but if someone just sent you a check, you have the responsibility to investigate it to make sure its legit and valid before you cash it.

When a health insurance carrier sends you a check, it is for the purpose of paying the medical bills that have been submitted to them. It *may* have been an error that the check was sent to you and not the hospital, but that does not give you the right to use the check for your personal bills and expect the insurance company to issue another check to the hospital. Since you received the money that was designated for the hospital, and you used it for another purpose, it is now your responsibility to pay the hospital.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back