Medical Bill after misdiagnosed

A

AdvicePlease

Jurisdiction
Maine
Hello, I have a legal question regarding a medical bill for a misdiagnosis. In September 2014, I went to the ER for loss of feeling in my hand. The ER doc diagnosed it as carpal tunnel and discharged me without any MRI, CT scan or even having the neurologist come down to examine me. After a follow-up with my PCP, I had an MRI which showed I had had a stroke. Do I have grounds to dispute this ER bill now since it has been so long? Thank you for your time!

Hello, I have a legal question regarding a medical bill for a misdiagnosis. In September 2014, I went to the ER for loss of feeling in my hand. The ER doc diagnosed it as carpal tunnel and discharged me without any MRI, CT scan or even having the neurologist come down to examine me. After a follow-up with my PCP, I had an MRI which showed I had had a stroke. Do I have grounds to dispute this ER bill now since it has been so long? Thank you for your time!

Have you not paid the bill from almost 2 years ago? Why do you think you do not owe? You received care. That care comes at a fee. It often takes multiple visits and opinions to determine a full diagnosis. The role of an ER is not to do extensive diagnostics, it is to render acute care and stabilize.

You received care - someone has to pay for it. You (the patient) are ultimately responsible for any medical bills not paid by insurance.

Back