Repairs, Maintenance mechanic nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

I purchased a vehicle on 3/1/2013 at a auction. When I picked it up the car wouldn't start again. I called Aaa, and was also referred to a auto shop that was graded excellent with the better business bureau, so I had my car towed there. It took about three weeks before I heard anything about it, and was told that it needed a electronic ignition module, so I agreed. Picked my car up the very next day. Drove off the lot. The car did the exact thing the day I purchased it. So the shop took it back. Two more weeks I received a call from the mechanic that my car was ready to pick up. I did the same day. Got it home, and parked it. It didn't start. Still doing was it did the day I took it to the shop. Called the mechanic he stated he will come pick the car up, but on Monday, because it was Friday. Monday arrived no mechanic, I had to call then have the car towed back to the shop. One week later the mechanic advised to have the car sent to a dealership, and have it reset. So I approved, and the mechanic had it towed to the dealer, and that we would spilt the cost. So I agreed. Two weeks later got a call to come get my car. So I did the same day. Drove it on and off for five hours before it shut down on a busy intersection. Would not crank up again. Call The same as the first day. Called the mechanic advised me to take it back to the dealership. So I did using my Aaa. One week had gone by hadn't heard so I called the mechanic. Was informed that it was the pmc, and that he was going to take care of it, and that I needed more money than we had agreed on. I approved. Another week had gone by hadn't heard anything, so I called the mechanic was very irritated, and stated he didn't know speak to the manager who was never available. So I called the dealership, and was advised that they had made several attempts to make contact with them each failed. So I had to go pay the fee, and have my car towed home. A total of seven weeks five days. My car still doing the same not starting, and I have reached my frustrated level. I'm out of money with a car not running and no answers. I need help.

Valerie

I'm very sorry to hear about your troubles. Unfortunately these are the risks you take buying a car AS-IS from an auction. Your remedy seems to lie with the mechanic although to be honest, I can't exactly make out what happened when the car went to the dealer and why the dealer didn't fix the car (perhaps as a result of the mechanic not responding adequately?) Let's assume that your issue is with the mechanic. You should probably send a demand letter via a certified method, e.g. proof of mailing, that states all the relevant facts. This should state the amount you paid for the specific job, what happened and what they agreed (the half payment) and what they guaranteed. You will want to make a demand, e.g. if the mechanic does not return your money or fix the car within X days, you may file a claim in small claims court. It would appear that your remedy is in a civil court and that there is probably no easy way to get this done. You might even consider mentioning that you may report their conduct to the state licensing agency and that they will not be happy hearing that a dealer couldn't reach them after repeated tries. May I assume that the dealer has a valid license to perform as a mechanic? You may wish to search the state's database to determine whether the mechanic has a valid license before approaching them. Good luck to you and hope you can work things out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back