Mechanic lied about being licensed & gave me bad transmission

2trusting

Jurisdiction
California
I was referred to an auto mechanic by a reputable shop because he works on the specific type of transmission my car has. On the phone, the mechanic told me he was licensed so I took my car to him and he supposedly rebuilt my transmission. On my way to pick up the car, he calls me and asks if I can please pay with cash ($2500). I told him I would be paying with check and he said he has no way to cash a check. Upon arriving, he says I can pay with check but I need to make the check out to his son so he can cash the check. Feeling I had no choice, I reluctantly agreed. A couple days later the transmission is acting up so I take it back and he supposedly replaces a faulty part at no additional charge. A couple days after that the engine light comes on so I take the car to the dealership who tells me the transmission is faulty and needs to be completely replaced. Come to find out, the original mechanic was not licensed after all. Aside from contacting the Bureau of Automotive Repair and taking him to small claims court, what other recourse do I have? Is there any way to stop him from doing business illegally in California?

Aside from contacting the Bureau of Automotive Repair and taking him to small claims court, what other recourse do I have?

I can't imagine what else there might be.

Is there any way to stop him from doing business illegally in California?

No one has yet figured out how to prevent crime with 100% success. All you can do is report what happened to the appropriate authorities and let them do their jobs. As far as suing, good luck. If the mechanic has "no way to cash a check" (which is patently absurd given how prevalent check cashing stores are), then he probably doesn't have a bank account, so you're not likely to have much success collecting whatever judgment you obtain

Come to find out, the original mechanic was not licensed after all.

Could have found that out before hand.

Considering your problem with an unlicensed contractor in 2013 I would have thought you knew better.

Aside from contacting the Bureau of Automotive Repair and taking him to small claims court, what other recourse do I have?

Other than those two?

None.

Is there any way to stop him from doing business illegally in California?

As a practical matter, if the licensing offices doesn't put him out of business, no.

If he's unlicensed, he's already out of business.
He's what some people call a "shade tree mechanic" or a "bootleg mechanic".

The only way people like that get put out of business is die, get too ill to work their scams, or commit a real crime and end up in prison.

Back