Math Queston?

Status
Not open for further replies.

muggsyj

Ok, Someone gave me this riddle today, I thought it was clever but then again I am very easy to impress sometimes. You may get this but for those of you that do not, it should keep you busy for ten min's........Have fun!!:nuts

Three men go to buy a TV from a store they all put in $10.00 each which equals $30.00
They return to pick up the TV and the store's assitant, tells them all that there was a $5.00 discount, so they all took $1.00 each and they left the remaining $2.00 as a tip to the staff member for sharing the news about the discount,
Great guys!!

Ok, so now that meens the three men have paid only $9.00 each 3 x 9 = 27 then $2.00 they left as a tip makes $29.00 ????????? "Where is the other $1.00 Dollar??"

Ok, Someone gave me this riddle today, I thought it was clever but then again I am very easy to impress sometimes. You may get this but for those of you that do not, it should keep you busy for ten min's........Have fun!!:nuts

Three men go to buy a TV from a store they all put in $10.00 each which equals $30.00
They return to pick up the TV and the store's assitant, tells them all that there was a $5.00 discount, so they all took $1.00 each and they left the remaining $2.00 as a tip to the staff member for sharing the news about the discount,
Great guys!!

Ok, so now that meens the three men have paid only $9.00 each 3 x 9 = 27 then $2.00 they left as a tip makes $29.00 ????????? "Where is the other $1.00 Dollar??"

Ok you goof, your math is all wrong. 9$ x 3 does equal 27$, but why add 2 and not subtract 2? 9 x 3= 27 - 2 for tip = 25, hence a 5$ discount from 30$ equals 25$. They truly only got a 3$ discount because they gave away 2$.

The only reason this is a joke is because its not right... The TV costs 30$ they got 5$ back from the discount so it only costed 25$, however they felt nice that day and gave 2$ to the assistant, which means they paid a total of 27$ for the TV.. There is no money missing, the only thing missing is logical math in the joke..

Actually, it IS right. What you don't realize is that the joke is actually in two parts. The second part was dropped in to mess with your logical thinking, lead you down the wrong path for a bit. It all made perfect sense, each part, but the mistake was in concluding that all points of part B automatically reiterate part A.

Dude, that's a classic defense lawyer's trick. Every bit is truth but, together, the truth becomes illogical. Advertising agencies use it, too.

This joke is FUNNY!!! I'm Twittering it along....

Last edited:
Well...

That's a nice question! It made me really think before I read the replies.. Good one.. but I guess its more of a braintwister/ logic than joke?! :confused: But i like it!!! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back