Martial Law

markps

Jurisdiction
US Federal Law
Under US Martial Law can the government force a citizen to become a soldier in an emergency

The US military is currently voluntary but there have been times in the past when conscription (the draft) was in effect and a citizens were compelled to become soldiers.

I'm sure it could happen again depending on the nature of the emergency.

But that's not necessarily what Martial Law means.

If a foreign power invaded US soil would you not take up arms to defend your country?

I would. In a heartbeat.

Under US Martial Law can the government force a citizen to become a soldier in an emergency

What does your common sense tell you?

Forget the law, think about your question.

You KNOW the answer.

Here are a couple hints.

President Sam Houston declared martial law in the Republic of Texas in 1842, when a Mexican column invaded and briefly occupied San Antonio.

In 1844, Joseph Smith declared martial law in Nauvoo to protect himself from criminal charges.

Finally, declaring martial law in the USA is akin to teaching a cat to speak, read, and write in Latin, French, German. Greek, and English; all the while wearing a three piece suit and standing upright the way primates do.

US denizens are a contrary lot by nature and ancestry.

Look back to the Vietnam war era, where thousands of people refused to allow themselves to be conscripted, fleeing as far away as Sweden to avoid Uncle Sammy's long arms.

We don't need martial law to force you to become a soldier. It's called the draft. Many of us are old enough to have had to worry about it. I watched the numbers each year. I was lucky that the Viet Nam conscription ended just before I turned 18.

Back