Married recently- SS card and Driver's Liscense have different names

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandyinthewind

I work seasonally, so I switch jobs about every 6 months. I work for the same parent company, but for different LLCs. I got married recently and updated my SS card with my new name, but my driver's liscense has my maiden name. I can't switch my name on my Connecticut liscense unless I go there in person. I'm currently in Arizona and will be working in Texas soon. Do I need to get a new driver's liscense before I start the new job or will they accept different names?

That would be something you'd need to ask your future employer. There is nothing preventing the future employer from insisting on having matching documentation.

(For example, if you turn up with your old license, your new SS card and your marriage certificate they might accept that - but they don't have to)

It's hard for us to say/know - see what your employer says.

Another thing you need to consider is you are likely breaking the licensing law in every state you have been living in.

I work seasonally, so I switch jobs about every 6 months. I work for the same parent company, but for different LLCs. I got married recently and updated my SS card with my new name, but my driver's liscense has my maiden name. I can't switch my name on my Connecticut liscense unless I go there in person. I'm currently in Arizona and will be working in Texas soon. Do I need to get a new driver's liscense before I start the new job or will they accept different names?

Most states have a mechanism for renewing a drivers license in good standing if you are working in another state or out of the country.

You are also able to change items on the license remotely.

In fact, most states will renew the license WITHOUT a picture, or use the prior picture, which eliminates the picture taking requirement.

This is the CT state DMV process page.

In CT what you wish to do is possible while in another state.

Read it, learn it, and use it.

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=805&q=244790

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back