Parole, Probation Marriage Question

MrsLaurenJones

Jurisdiction
Florida
Hello,
I am a convicted felon from 2010, in January I married my spouse and she herself is also a convicted felon on felony probation. In February my wife transferred her probation from her former county to the current county in which we live. She told her probation officer that we would be living together. I would have thought that if it was a problem that her probation officer would have told her NO to moving in with me. Now I have been seeing online that it could be a violation of her probation to actually be married to me. I am worried because of a current legal issue that this will be brought up. Any input on this situation?

When your wife informed her probation officer that you (her husband) are also a convicted felon and asked if there would be any issue with the two of you being married and living together, what did the probation officer say?

When your wife informed her probation officer that you (her husband) are also a convicted felon and asked if there would be any issue with the two of you being married and living together, what did the probation officer say?
She did not tell her probation officer that we are Married. I guess I just assumed that they would run a name check on the person with whom the person on probation is going to live with. They do not know that we are married still. We were worried because her officer seems to be a bit homophobic and for us as a lesbian couple thought that it would be best not to mention it.

I doubt that there is any need to mention that you're a gay couple. However...

For starters, your wife needs to have read and be intimately familiar with the terms of her probation. If she doesn't have them, she needs to get them and read them. If she has them, then she needs to read them to see if they prohibit her from associating (much less living with) other convicted felons. Such a prohibition is a very common term of probation. If she doesn't have a copy or or doesn't understand the terms of her probation, then she should consult with a local attorney.

If she ascertains that living with you violates her probation, then you basically have three choices: (1) separate until she's off probation; (2) continue living together and take the risk that the PO will discover that she's violating her probation and haul her off to prison; or (3) hire an attorney to seek to amend the terms of her probation.

I am a convicted felon from 2010, in January I married my spouse

Was the person you were dating and eventually married a CONVICTED felon during the entire time you were dating?

You two were married in February of 2018, correct?

she is also a convicted felon on felony probation. In February my wife transferred her probation from her former county to the current county in which we live.

On what month and in what year was your spouse convicted of her felony?

Are you on paper, or have you met all of the conditions of your probation/parole/incarceration?

Why do you think the person posting is a man when the handle is Mrs Lauren Jones and a picture of a woman?

She did not tell her probation officer that we are Married. I guess I just assumed that they would run a name check on the person with whom the person on probation is going to live with. They do not know that we are married still. We were worried because her officer seems to be a bit homophobic and for us as a lesbian couple thought that it would be best not to mention it.

Yeah that's something she needs to mention - it shouldn't matter you two are lesbians. They would need to know even if you were a heterosexual couple of felons who married. It's never good to lie to or leave out information to a probation officer.

One partner is the designated wife and one is the designated husband.

In some of those female to female marriages, they both call themselves a wife.

In other female to female marriages, one says she is the husband, the other says she is the wife.

I usually use the term SPOUSE these days, as it works for male to male, female to female, and female to male marriages.

One partner is the designated wife and one is the designated husband. No?

I have little experience with this stuff.
I have never heard that among any of the married lesbians I know. They just refer to each other as spouse or wife. Granted I don't know all...but it seemed as if the poster just assumed a heterosexual couple.

One partner is the designated wife and one is the designated husband. No?

I have little experience with this stuff.

No. None of the married lesbian couples I know identify themselves as "husband & wife". The women refer to each other as wife, which is appropriate since the definition of wife is "a married woman considered in relation to her spouse".

To me, using the word "husband" for one half of a married female couple perpetuates the idea that somehow there has to be a man, or someone who is willing to play the role of a man, involved to legitimize the relationship.

In some of those female to female marriages, they both call themselves a wife.

In other female to female marriages, one says she is the husband, the other says she is the wife.

I usually use the term SPOUSE these days, as it works for male to male, female to female, and female to male marriages.

I have yet to hear a lesbian married couple refer to one or the other as a husband. That seems a bit odd and makes it seem as if there has to be a male in the relationship, as stated. I hear spouse or wife - and for male homosexual marriages I have heard spouse or husband and both refer to each other as husband.

I have yet to hear a lesbian married couple refer to one or the other as a husband. That seems a bit odd and makes it seem as if there has to be a male in the relationship, as stated. I hear spouse or wife - and for male homosexual marriages I have heard spouse or husband and both refer to each other as husband.

I've heard females married to other females, use wife-wife, husband-husband, wife-husband.

I've heard males married to other males, use wife-wife, husband-husband, wife-husband.

I have no idea what others have heard, nor do I dispute their representations.

I only know what I have heard.

My recall is based on meeting people in social and professional settings after my army retirement.

There are many unusual, dare I say bizarre things we'll all observe during our lifetimes.

You may not see it in your neck of the woods, but I see it in mine.

I have seen two females married to each other, one dresses as a "traditional" male, the other dresses as a "traditional" female.

In fact, I observe this scenario regularly on a nearby army camp, as well as other military installations during my travels.

During my military service references to a spouse was to a male-female ONLY marriage.

Many things have evolved, devolved, or changed over the decades.

I'm not a troll. It was a legit question - I asked why you assumed she's a man married to a woman when all signs showed a woman married to another woman. Just because you disagree with someone doesn't make them a troll.

It's a trollish post because (1) it's antagonistic and (2) the reason(s) for my assumption have nothing at all to do with the issue raised by the OP. Also, the OP obviously wasn't bothered by it.

This issue isn't the marriage or your genders (or how you refer to one another). The issue is living together/being married when you are both felons and the terms of your respective probations. IT is not the PO's job to remind someone what the terms are or prevent them from violating the terms. If it isn't clear what the terms are, you need to speak to a lawyer and get it clarified asap.

Back